What You Need to Remember During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

With finals flying around the corner like Luigi in a Mario Cart race, we’ve all most likely questioned if this whole thing is worth it. Is the path that we’re on the right one for us? And if not, how do we find what is? Does what we’re doing even matter? These questions can cause you to doubt your desires and quickly change your “I’ve got this” mentality to an attitude of insecurity and desperation for meaning.

This insecurity in our desires stems from comparison. Maybe your roommate is extremely successful in her classes or your best friend is absolutely killing it in a new job. But God tells us not to be discouraged by these things. In 1 Corinthians 12, Paul compares us to the parts of the body. Not all of us can be feet, not all of us can be hands. Therefore, comparing yourself to the people around you is a waste of time because God created you to be perfectly you with a specific role to play.  

God has given us all different desires and gifts that result in different callings. 1 Peter 4:10 says, “God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve each other”. This verse tells us two things. First, it shows us that grace isn’t given in the same way to everyone − it varies, and it varies so that we have the freedom to be unique. Second, it tells us that the reason we are given these gifts is to serve others. There are many things that society may say divides us, but we are really all just children of God − brothers and sisters that are called to love each other.

As our relationship with God grows, our hearts will transform, and His desires will become our desires. And with that comes the call to be on mission with Him. But just as we can’t all be hands or feet, we can’t all be pastors or missionaries. God’s desire is that you live a life that reflects Him, and that can be done anywhere, anyway. From a garbage truck to the office of a CEO, the way that you love the people around you and serve Jesus is the same. In 1 Corinthians 12, Paul goes on to say, “God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us.”  

Next time you find yourself questioning your desires, abilities or worth, remember that you were created for a reason. No matter what you have been through or what the people surrounding you are doing, He has always been there, watching your story unfold to honor Him. So go out and crush your finals. You’ve got a pretty awesome God rooting for you.

Hey guys, my name is Sara Gates! I am a Kappa Delta here at Clemson and can usually be found in an Eno by the lake or at Smoothie King. I am a marking major with a minor in communications and I love horses, my family, and Jesus...channeling my inner Journey right now. Go tigers!
Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.