Miss South Carolina: Ali Rogers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

1. Your platform for Miss South Carolina was based upon special needs children, what inspired you to make this your philanthropy?

Back home I grew up with four adorable children Matthew, Canady, Hank, and Wells. They have been my inspiration for years and seeing how they have grown and the people they have become has been so uplifting. I decided to base my platform around them and children just like them.

1. Watching the Pageant we couldn’t help but notice your bracelet, “Make A Difference” is there a story behind why you never take it off?

Mom actually gave it gave it to me when I was 13 years old, it’s been my security blanket for so long I couldn’t imagine taking it off.Throughout my year as Miss South Carolina I always look at it as a goal, Make A Difference, a motto I strive to live for each and every day. And the opportunity to be Miss South Carolina and be able to make that difference is very rewarding.

*People also ask me where they can purchase one, I always feel so bad when I tell them I don’t know- I got is as a gift 8 years ago. 

1. Being that Spring is here and Summer’s around the corner and you were the winner for the preliminary swimsuit competition- Do you have any tips for our Clemson Girls?

I didn’t grow up as a pageant girl, I grew up playing all different kinds of sports and for years that has been my main source of exercise. I don’t believe in crash diets, I’d rather be happy and not the preliminary swimsuit winner because I can indulge on my cake and ice cream every so often. My biggest tip would have to be, make your exercise workouts fun, switch it up. Do zumba one day and cross fit the other. I always recommend working out outdoors, the treadmill doesn’t compare to running outside.

1. What is the most memorable moment you have at the Miss America Pageant?

Standing with Mallory, Miss New York, and thinking am I about to win Miss America, it was a 30 second moment that seemed like it was 10 minutes long. I’m so proud of Mallory for winning and I realize everything happens for a reason.  I wouldn’t change being first-runner up to Miss America for anything.

1. What was the funniest thing that happened to you either during the pageant or touring that’s too great not to share?

I had a non-graceful moment and it was my downfall, the Friday night before the Miss American Pageant, I was rooming with Miss Pennsylvania and we had all of our stuff out and when I went to shut off the lights I tried to get back to my bed and instead, dove into Miss Pennsylvania suitcase and although I didn’t watch the pageant over again I’m pretty sure there were bruises all over my legs. Another funny moment happened at the Miss America Pageant, right before the formal attire showcase they had doughnuts backstage and we didn’t realize those were for the girls who did not qualify to the top finalist but I figured swimsuit was over and we had a little bit of time left before going back out I could just eat one, well, mid way through eating my chocolate doughnut they called us out on stage I’m pretty sure I had chocolate in my teeth.

1. What do you miss most about Clemson?

My sisters of Alpha Delta Pi, working in the football office, student government, and really everything about Clemson. Mostly being a normal college kid, even though I love being Miss South Carolina, it’s been such a rewarding year to give back and serve making a difference in lives; it’s the coolest job ever.I still can’t wait to come back to Clemson in the Fall!

This or That

Dog or Cat: Dog

Chocolate or Vanilla: Chocolate

Girls or The Bachelor: The Bachelor Even though I find myself watching ESPN more than anything. 

Beach or Lake: Lake

Mornings or Nights: I’m now forced to be a morning person.

Tea or Coffee: Sweet Tea

Orange or Purple: Orange

Jock or Nerd: Little Bit of Both!

The Hangover or The Notebook: The Hangover