How to Be Smart in Downtown Clemson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Your days of patience have finally paid off and the long-awaited twenty-one has come and gone. Or maybe you’re still waiting for that day to come. Either way- whether it’s a new phenomenon or a relished privilege- being able to go downtown is a freedom that we’ve all been waiting for. It’s our calling to take full advantage of the new opportunities our age opens to us. After all, we’re in college… We’re supposed to have fun and explore.

What some airheads tend to forget is with these new opportunities trouble can follow.  Whether it’d be Cops, dramatic girlfriends, sloppy boys, and regrettable hookups; the potential for things to go wrong are unlimited when surrounded by alcohol. You’ve got to be smart…

One thing you can do to ensure you’re making good choices is knowing your limit. Yes, most of us have been testing the threshold of our tolerance for a while now; some have yet to discover theirs. In order to survive downtown, you’re going to need to figure this out. You don’t want to be that girl…

Apart from the embarrassment your drunken slurs may cause, there aren’t any couches to pass out on in TTT’s, and causing a line to throw up in the TD’s bathroom isn’t exactly acceptable either, so know when to call it a night.

Next thing, know the dangers. Sure, we’re all aware that drinking and driving is bad, but some of us think we’re invincible, WRONG. Living in a college town, cops are all over this- seriously just don’t do it. If the threat of being put in jail doesn’t scare you, think of the lives you’re threatening.

Drinking in the streets is also a big no-no. Leave your drinks at the house or in the bar. The streets downtown are lined with cops, and the watered down 2 sips or your Dirty Shirley isn’t really worth a run in. That brings me to this point… Please don’t argue with the cops. If they see you with a drink then go throw it away. And don’t claim the cops are “evil” they’re the ones who have to deal with drunken frat guys and annoying 21st birthday girls demanding to take their picture.

Another way to be smart downtown might mean leaving your best girlfriend behind. I know taking on the town without your number one partner in crime sounds awful. But she had just a little too much to drink and can’t make it out- you should probably join her. Nothing says sad like hitting the bars all by your lonesome.  

Lastly, the key to putting up with the too-hammered-to-function characters you’ll run into: Smile and walk away. When the sweaty guy with a drink spills down the front of your shirt, don’t get annoyed or irritated with his abysmal self-presentation, and start a scene- he wont care, that’s the risk you take going downtown. And no make-out sessions in the corner…downtown is not a frat party- don’t pretend it is.

All in all, it’s easier than it is hard to have a good time downtown. There are new friends, drinks, and discoveries to be made in the bars of Clemson, and I encourage you to investigate them all. Just be careful while you do it. And smart.

Photo Credits

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr…

http://www.destinationcw.org/n…

http://funmeme.com/image.axd?p…