How Actual Clemson Students are Reacting to COVID-19, Social Distancing, & Online Instruction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Life at Clemson has certainly changed since we all left for spring break – largely because we’re not at Clemson anymore. In response to COVID-19, Clemson University moved to online instruction for the rest of the spring semester and suspended Clemson events until May 8th, including the Ring Ceremony and May commencement. Even though some of us expected such action, Clemson students were shocked and devastated by the announcement

On the eve of online instruction beginning, I reached out to Clemson students to find out how they’re actually dealing with this, and here’s what they said. 

Austin Seter

Clemson Student

How are you handling social distancing? 

“Boredom and anxiety at having to be back home”

Sweatpants Against A Wall
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus

Sara Ciplickas

HC Clemson Writer

How are you handling social distancing?

“It sucks but FaceTime is great :) I have a home gym so time to get a killer summer bod”

Do you have any advice for others during this time?

“Take care of yourself. Remember this is temporary and for the safety of others. This is a great time for mental health!”

Meditation
Kristine Mahan / Spoon

Jordan

Clemson Student

How are you handling social distancing?

“This is very stressful. My spring ‘break’ has only been stress in figuring out how to cope and trying to distract my parents from this financial burden.”

“Try to stay positive. ??‍♀️ Try out a new hobby.”

Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Lauren

Clemson Student

How are you handling social distancing?

“Working at a local restaurant; staying at home: reading, catching up on TV and rewatching movies, writing (fiction); going on runs”

“Keep in contact with friends and family—check up on them! Also, check up on yourself and get outside (go for a walk or run or sit in the sun) and away from screens.”

Anthony Tran
Anthony Tran / Unsplash

Niara Hargrave

HC Clemson Co-Director of Social Media

How are you handling social distancing?

“Quality time is my love language so not doing that great. Its fine but I miss my friends. I feel like summer of ‘17 again cause it’s just me and my sister watching tv together all spring break cause our plans got canceled. Online is gonna be a challenge.”

“Go outside! Maybe take a drive. At least sit in your back yard for a few minutes or check the mail or something. Social distancing is all well and good, but dont forget about fresh air.”

Girl In Porcelain Print Skirt In Feild 5
Photo by Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Sam Dodd

Clemson Student

How are you handling social distancing?

“Virtual hangouts with friends, time with family, working, etc…”

“Make sure you don’t lose contact with your friends. FaceTime and other virtual meeting apps are a great resource. Use them!”

woman in a white shirt holding her cell phone in front of her
Kaboompics .com | Pexels

Mary Atieh

Clemson Student

How are you handling social distancing?

“To preface, I’ve been burnt out for a while, but ever since I came home (and can’t hang out with my friends) I’ve found myself rested and bored. The way I’m handling social distancing, though, is looking up articles of ideas that interest me or activities to do. For example, my mom asked if she should get croissants from the store. I said no, but then I wondered if I could make croissants instead. In another instance, I decided to embrace the hype of Tik Tok and learned the ‘Say So’ dance. Though I haven’t caught up on my school work—we are on break, after all—I’ve caught up on the activities I shoved aside to work, see friends, and study.”

“Embrace the time you have in isolation to learn more about yourself or try something new! I know that’s a typical answer, but it’s true!

Personally, I’m an introvert and I’ve deprived myself of real alone time all semester, so not seeing friends is a sigh of relief to an extent. Maybe this advice won’t help you, but there are so many things you could do! You could find a puzzle from the depths of your attic/basement/closet. You could find a sudoku game online and solve it. You could run outside. You could play tennis. You could outside your porch and hear the sounds of the bird deliberating on how to spend their day. You could help a fellow student out and fill out her article that helped you confirm the fact that you sound like a 70-year-old. So, live and learn about your life while we have the chance for everything to have slowed down. This sounds so melodramatic I’m sorry. TL;DR basically that Ferris Bueller quote about if you don’t stop to look around for a while, you might just miss it.”

\"you got this\" on a letter board
Pexels

Anonymous 

Clemson Student

How are you handling social distancing?

“Running and playing the piano more”

Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Her Campus Media

Maria Christenbury

Clemson Student

How are you handling social distancing?

“It is awful.”

“No, but I need all the advice for myself.”

Girl sitting on bed alone
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).