Homecoming Queen Raegan McCullough

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Hometown: Iva, South Carolina

Major: Communication Studies

What else are you involved with at Clemson?

I have really tried to take advantage of the Clemson experience by being involved as much as possible.  I love participating in FCA and InterVarsity!  The Bible studies and mission trips keep me grounded and appreciative of what God has done for me. I also enjoy serving on the Elections Board for CUSG, serving as President of Delta Zeta, and being a member of Order of Omega.  I’ve been able to sharpen my leadership skills through these organizations, while continuing to serve others…which is really where my heart is. Soon, you will find me dragging bats for the Clemson Baseball Team.  I grew up playing softball, basketball, and cheering so serving as a Clemson Bat Girl keeps me connected to my love for sports. 

Why did you choose to attend Clemson University?

Believe it or not, it was the stars that led me to my destiny here at Clemson University.  Growing up I always looked forward to the nights my father and I spent lying under the stars in my backyard talking about any and everything that came to mind. In 2010, those times came to an abrupt end when he passed away unexpectedly at the age of 49. Two years later as a high school senior, I found myself longing for another night under the stars so that my father could guide me in my decision between two major universities.  After visiting both universities and remaining undecided, a teacher asked to give me a personal tour of Clemson to help me with my decision.  I agreed and began to pray earnestly that God would give me a sign while I was there.  After a long and eventful day touring the campus, I found myself standing alone on the Daniel Hall Bridge still confused about my future.  As I began praying once again for a sign, I suddenly felt a strong prompting to look up.  Gazing into the clear blue sky, an indescribable peace came over me as I realized that unlike the other university, here at Clemson I would always have a clear view of the stars.  At that moment I felt as if my father himself was reassuring me that Clemson was my destiny.  Having spent three years of the best years of my life here, I am positive that my father was guiding me all along.

What are your duties as Homecoming Queen?

Actually, there are no specific duties designated for Miss Homecoming; however, I have chosen to use the title as an opportunity to promote Clemson University and to encourage, motivate and inspire youth.  Since being crowned in October, I have had many opportunities to make appearances in parades, judge high school pageants, and speak at churches and schools.  Being crowned Miss Homecoming is a blessing, and I want to use the title to be a blessing to others.

What is your favorite thing about Clemson?

This has to be the hardest question of all. I guess I would have to say my favorite thing about Clemson is the fellowship. Everywhere I go on Clemson’s campus, I am always greeted by a friendly face. I have met so many wonderful people here and have had amazing opportunities to learn from my conversations and relationships with each person I’ve met.  The fellowship I have experienced through intramural softball, Greek Life, CUSG, FCA, InterVarsity and just the day-to-day interaction with the student body have forever changed my life in the best way possible.  

Going into the pageant, did you think you had a chance to win?

Going into the pageant, I had no clue that I would one day wear the crown.  I have dreamed of this opportunity since high school, but I never really imagined that I would ever have the opportunity to even compete.  The thought of a girl from a town of 1,300 coming to Clemson University with an undergraduate enrollment of close to 17,000 and winning homecoming seems ridiculous! I remember feeling guilty that so many of my family and friends purchased tickets to see me compete in the homecoming pageant and then again for Tigerama. I knew that the competition would be tough, and I realized this even more when I began to interact with the girls during homecoming practices. The girls were and are amazingly intelligent and crazy gorgeous! The student body could not have gone wrong crowning any one of them!

How did it feel to be down on the field during the Homecoming football game?

The feeling was like a dream… literally! I guess that is one reason I took the selfie right before I got off the float…you know it’s real when you take a selfie! Seriously, though, my view from the field was incredible and the energy there was electric. I was completely surrounded by what seemed to be a million smiling faces and shouting fans. It was exhilarating hearing the roar of the crowd and experiencing the excitement of Clemson University’s 100th   Homecoming Celebration. It was both an honor and a very humbling experience to be chosen by my peers to represent them as Miss Homecoming and all of those emotions came flooding in as I rode around the field seeing so many of my family and friends waving and cheering me on.  It was extra special hearing the name of my hometown announced, knowing that everyone back home was celebrating, too.  Being on the field at halftime was the closest I will ever get to experiencing the “most exciting 25 seconds of college football,” and it was a time I will cherish forever!

Just for fun…

Where is your favorite place to eat downtown?

That would have to be our newest addition to downtown Clemson, El Jimador Bites!  I love the grilled chicken nachos. El Jimador never disappoints me:)

If you could meet one celebrity, who would it be and why?

Jennifer Anniston!  She seems to be such a wise, sincere, and humble woman, who has overcome some deep hurts in her life.  She plays some incredible roles….

Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!