A Girls Guide to Writing Your Own Recommendation Letter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

You need a recommendation letter, whether you’re applying to grad school or trying to study abroad asking someone to write you a recommendation letter can be pretty nerve-racking.  If you’re me, it’s the beginning of sophomore year and you haven’t really made any strong connections with professors yet, so you’re panicking. Fast forward you finally work up the courage to ask your teacher for a letter of rec and they hit you with a, “Sure, just write up the first draft of the letter and we’ll meet up to discuss it.”  Wait, what? Did they just ask me to write my own recommendation letter? Is that even okay? Surprisingly enough it’s actually very common among professors and business professionals. It gives them a refresher on your previous accomplishments while letting them know which strengths you want to be highlighted. Additionally, often the person you ask has a pretty hectic schedule so this process really cuts down the time compared to if they’d have to write it from scratch.  Now you’re probably sitting there, staring at your paper with no idea where to start. Don’t worry, here’s a college girl’s guide to writing her own recommendation letter.

Reflect on the Program You’re Applying For

What are skills or qualities are they looking for in participants?  What characteristics are necessary to succeed? For example, study abroad programs are probably looking for someone adaptable who does well in unfamiliar situations or someone open-minded who will fully embrace the international experience.  Write down all the traits you think they’re looking for, and under each trait write several examples of how you displayed or acquired these qualities.

First Paragraph: Your Connection

Begin the letter talking about your relationship with the recommender, whether they’re your professor or your supervisor indicate in what capacity they’ve gotten to know you.  Remember: you are writing this from the point of view of the recommender so everything must be in the third person. Finish off the paragraph with a few qualities that demonstrate you’re a good fit for the program/job/internship.  Make sure to keep this paragraph around 4-5 sentences.

Body Paragraph(s): Your Evidence

Now that you’ve stated what you’d bring to the table, prove it!  Use this paragraph (or paragraphs) to provide reasons and information that support your previously mentioned skills and abilities.  Be detailed, for example, don’t just say, “Hannah was a great student in my Intro to Psychology course,” instead try, “In my course, Hannah finished in the top 10 students out over 250.”  I know this section can feel really braggy, but don’t be afraid to showcase your accomplishments. 

Conclusion Paragraph: Sum It Up

This section should be short and sweet (3-4 sentences).  Use this section to reiterate the key characteristics that differentiate you as a candidate and connect it back to what you’re applying for.  Ex: During my acquaintance with Hannah, she has proven to be a focused, organized, and optimistic student. This program will prove beneficial for her by continuing her exposure to new cultures and experiences, therefore I strongly recommend her acceptance.

Final Steps:

• Proofread: make sure to read over what you’ve written to correct for any spelling, grammar, or wordy sentences
  • Have Someone Else Look Over It: send it to a parent or friend, preferably someone with experience reading or writing recommendation letters to eliminate any remaining errors
  • Send It Early: don’t wait until the last minute, you want to make sure your recommender has plenty of time to read over everything
  • Schedule a Meeting (Optional): if this is a teacher or supervisor who may not know a lot of details about anything mentioned in your letter, make sure to schedule a meeting to fill in any blanks

And… congrats you’re done!  Good luck on your acceptance!

Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.