The Girl Who Does It All: Kayley Seawright

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

If you go to Clemson, chances are, you have seen this little blonde bombshell at one time or another. Kayley Seawright is involved all over Clemson’s campus, so it’s safe to say that she is definitely Campus Celebrity material. From right around the corner in Anderson, SC, she has always been a Clemson girl through and through, so her involvement in the Clemson community is no surprise to those who know her. On top of everything she does for the university, she is majoring in mechanical engineering; talk about well-rounded! Her Campus Clemson was so excited to have the chance to talk with Kayley about her time at Clemson and to get to know her a little better! Thanks for being awesome, Kayley!

Her Campus Clemson: What are you involved in on campus?
Kayley: I’m probably involved in a little bit too much, but I love it! Some of my favorite involvements include Student Government, Orientation Ambassadors, Blue Key, and Alpha Delta Pi. In Student Government, I serve as the Campus Life Chair on the Undergraduate Student Senate, so I work closely with housing and dining. Within Student Government, I also serve on several different boards including the Student Housing Advisory Board, Dining Advisory Board, Academic Grievance Committee, Academic Advisory Committee, and the CES Advisory Board. I was an Orientation Ambassador for two years, and served as a Team Leader this past summer. I am currently the New Member Coordinator in the Blue Key Honor Society. I do not hold any positions in Alpha Delta Pi, but I have enjoyed every minute of being involved in Greek Life with such an amazing group of girls! I also participate in the Guide Association, Tiger Pride, Dance Marathon, FCA. I work as an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant in General Engineering, and an Ambassador for the College of Engineering and Science.

You are seen as a leader on campus through all of your involvement; how/why do you do it all?!
Well thank you! When I first came to Clemson, I did not know exactly what I wanted to do or get involved in, so I got involved with a variety of activities. Now that I’m a junior, I’m starting to figure out what I’m most passionate about so I can focus more on doing my best in a few organizations instead of spreading myself so thin. I absolutely love everything I do, and I love making a difference on campus. However, I do give up a lot of sleep for involvements!

What has been your most rewarding experience as a Clemson student?
I think the experience that was the most satisfying and rewarding for me thus far was being an orientation ambassador for two summers. During this time I met so many exceptional people I probably would not have met otherwise. But, the thing that meant the most to me was sharing my love of this campus and this town with incoming freshman. It was such a rare and special opportunity to share the Clemson family spirit. There was one case in particular that had a huge impact on me. The semester after my first summer of being an orientation ambassador a certain freshman approached me and told me that my attitude and school spirit was what convinced him to choose Clemson. It made me so happy to think that I had influenced him enough to come to Tiger Town!

Why did you choose Clemson?
I am from Anderson so I have always been a Clemson girl. My junior year of high school I looked at other schools and was considering Duke University. When it was time to make a decision, I chose Clemson because I loved the atmosphere and felt like I would not be at home anywhere else. I was being drawn to Duke because of the glitz of the “name” more than the school. Coming to Clemson has been the best decision I have ever made. It’s my home, my family, and I cannot imagine myself anywhere else. Nor do I want to!

If you had any advice for freshman, what would it be?
I would tell freshmen to take advantage of the many opportunities Clemson provides for success now and in the future. Make friends and network, get involved and make a difference, study hard but still have fun. Enjoy every minute because it goes by too quickly. Stay true to yourself and your morals and always be your best. Live life to the fullest and be thankful for all of the opportunities provided. Be nice, outgoing, and friendly. Don’t be afraid to buy in and drink the kool-aid. PS- its orange!!

[pagebreak]

Favorite thing about Clemson:
Although it’s very cliché, my favorite thing about Clemson is the family atmosphere. I did not completely understand what the “Clemson family” meant until recently. It’s all about the connection, happiness, and pride we share with one another. Walking to class and passing strangers that hold that door and greet you with a smile. Seeing thousands of students on Solid Orange Friday come together to show their spirit and excitement for their school. Clemson is not just about the 4 (maybe more) years that you are actually on campus, it’s about that pride and connection you will have for the rest of your life. GO TIGERS!

Most embarrassing moment at Clemson
Oh my goodness! I have too many embarrassing moments!! I can’t decide which is more embarrassing, so I’ll share two stories.

The first story was last year right after Christmas break. I was working in the football office and was in a meeting with a lot of important people including Dabo, all of the other coaches, graduate assistants, and staff. I was playing on my new iPhone (first mistake) that I did not know how to use (second mistake). I was messing around on it in the meeting and meant to press the “Pinterest” button, but I accidently pressed the “Pandora” button, which, in my defense, are both icons with a “P.” So music started playing and I didn’t know what I had pressed. Naturally, I just pressed the home button trying to get it to cut off, but the music continued to play in the background. I had no idea what app was playing or how to turn it off because I was looking at the home screen, so I just started pushing buttons! It would stop playing for a second when Siri interjected to tell me she didn’t understand, and then the music would start back again. After I had alerted everyone in the room to my technical difficulties in the most embarrassing fashion, I just walked out with the music still playing! It probably played for about 30 seconds and I was so rattled I didn’t even think to simply turn my phone off.

My second embarrassing story was during the Miss Clemson Pageant last semester. I can be extremely clumsy, so I trip and run into things quite a bit. I am also very short, so my dress had to be hemmed A LOT. The top layer of fabric was longer than the rest because it could not be hemmed, so we were hoping that as I walked it would fan out away from my feet. But… of course, as I was walking during the evening wear competition, I stumbled over my dress on stage in front of everyone in Tillman Auditorium. Thankfully, I didn’t take a tumble, but my family and friends still love to pick on me about it!

Something most people probably don’t know about you.
I can lick my elbow :P

When you’re not busy, what are some of your hobbies?
I enjoy being active. I grew up on the lake, so I love water sports during the summer. Skiing and slaloming are two of my favorite lake activities, but I also adore a simple swim. During the winter months, there’s nothing better than snow skiing.
I’ve been known to bust a few moves on the dance floor! Dance is one of my favorite hobbies and also a fun way to stay in shape! I’ve been dancing for about 15 years doing everything from tap and ballet, to hip hop and jazz. I actually didn’t learn to swing and shag until my sophomore year, but now that I’ve learned, I’m obsessed with it! I love doing aerials, flips, and other fun tricks and dips.

What is your idea of a perfect date?
Anywhere with Josh Bowman, Hunter Hayes, or Tom Daley :)
But being realistic, I’m not a picky person at all! But be a gentleman and be exciting. I don’t like having to carry conversation and I love it when the guy plans the date. Make me laugh, and don’t let me get bored. As far as the actual activities I’m always up for an adventure be that going out on the lake, a bike ride, or breaking into the stadium (not that I’ve done that…)

What is your favorite place to shop?
Does Ebay count?? I have an addiction with Ebay, but I’m not brave enough to buy clothes there! For clothes or shoes, I really like Dillards. They have a lot of brands and sizes that actually fit me. It’s a struggle to find smaller sizes because kids clothes fit so awkwardly!

If you could visit one place in the world right now, where would it be and why?
I’m a big fan of the beach so I would go to a tropical paradise, such as Fiji. I love to travel and just get away sometimes. Plus, what’s better than the sun, the sand, and a nice tan?

Where would you like to be in ten years?
This is probably the hardest question for me to answer. In ten years, I will be 30, so I better have a good job by then! My major is Mechanical Engineering and, as of right now, I want to go into Technical Sales when I graduate. I would love to have the opportunity to work and travel for an engineering firm. If I enjoy doing that, then I will stick with it. If not, I want to get my doctorate and become a professor, probably at Clemson! I will hopefully be married to someone who makes me smile everyday and who makes me a better person. Perhaps I’ll have started a family by then too!

Last question: If you were stranded on a desert island, what three things would you take with you?
I would take a boat, water, and a friend!

Paige is a senior at Clemson University majoring in communication studies and minoring in business and technical writing. Hailing from Northern Virginia, she is the campus correspondent and founder of Her Campus Clemson, as well as VP of membership programming for her sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, and a contributing writer for The Tiger. She loves writing and photography, and after studying abroad in France this summer, she hopes to someday be a photographer and writer for a travel magazine. She has a strong passion (obsession) for social media, and when she's not tweeting or Facebook stalking, you can find her watching Criminal Minds and Glee, inhaling Chipotle burritos, jamming out to swing music, or shopping for new gameday outfits. GO TIGERS!