Four Things I Learned From Marie Kondo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

The new Netflix show, Tidying Up with Marie Kondo, seems to be the current “must watch.” In this show, Marie Kondo takes on homes in America that need a serious organizer, which is where Marie Kondo comes in. In her new book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, Marie says, “Don’t focus on reducing, or on efficient storage methods, for that matter. Focus instead on choosing the things that inspire joy and on enjoying life according to your own standards”. If you haven’t seen the show, I recommend checking it out, but if not, here are some of the things I learned from the show.

1. If it doesn’t spark joy, get rid of it.

Going through my belongings, I realized I had a lot of things that I had never worn or that I was keeping “just in case.”  By going through my belongings and getting rid of the things that didn’t spark joy, I was able to donate a whole trash bag full of clothes and a grocery bag full of jewelry, nail polish, and random items. Remember that the goal is not to get rid of things just to get rid of them but instead getting rid of things that don’t make you happy. This means that, if you look at something and it doesn’t feel like something you love or you say, “well I might wear/use this,” it doesn’t spark joy.

2. By tidying by category instead of location, or the KonMari method, it allows you to see everything you have of that category.

There are five categories that go in this order: clothing, books, paper, komono (everything miscellaneous), and sentimentals. In each category, take everything out of their places and lay them out. This allows you to be confronted by how much you really have of that category. It was surprising to see how many clothes I actually had once it was all laid out in front of me. Go through each category, getting rid of the things that don’t bring you joy. This helps you cherish the things you have so that you have a happier home.

3. Having an organized home makes a happy home.

Not only does having a clean, organized home make you less stressed, but it also makes your life better. If you live with other people, the clutter and mess can lead to a lot of strain in your relationships, especially when different people have different opinions on how/when things need to be cleaned and where they should be put.

4. Always be thankful for the things you have.

At the beginning of every show, Marie Kondo greets the home and thanks it. Despite how silly it may sound, it allows you to thank your home for everything it does. For providing a home for yourself and your family, for protecting, and for allowing all of the memories and important moments to happen within and outside of its walls. Also important, Marie says to always thank the items that you get rid of. It not only makes you feel less guilty for getting rid of it but allows you to reflect and be grateful for letting you wear it or own it.

Devon is a marketing major with a minor in communications at Clemson University. She's from Anderson, South Carolina. A southern gal deep in her roots, she can't live without sweet tea. She DIY's everything (even if it's not necessary) and loves to be creative. She loves adventures, hanging with friends, and all kinds of animals. Devon is never afraid to share her opinion or dance when everyone's watching. Feel free to follow her on instagram @devon_finley
Kate Freed

Clemson '21

Hi! My name is Kate Freed and I'm from Raleigh, NC. I'm a sophomore Communication major at Clemson University. I love all things fitness, food, and fashion. I teach kickboxing and barre and am passionate about motivating others to be their best selves.