Wow, where has the time gone?! As our time together is coming to an end, I wanted to write to express the gratitude for all you have done for me. In High School everyone always says, “You have the best four years of your life ahead of you”. They nailed that one. When I came to campus as a nervous Freshman ready to embrace college life I expected I would leave with this profound knowledge about my major, my head would be bursting with all this academic knowledge. Although I learned enough to get the grades, the real education came from the life experiences these past 4 years. I tried to compile a list of the most important things you have taught and given me:
1. Getting one bad grade in class will not end you academic career.
2. Do as many “Freshman” things as you can Freshman year, it will never be socially acceptable again.
3. Going out of your comfort zone can actually make you more comfortable.
4. You should always get queso.
5. Boys will be boys. Even worse, girls will be girls.
6. Your connections matter more than your grades, so network your booty off.
7. Water bottles aren’t always filled with water.
8. Don’t be afraid to try something. You never know what the outcome will be.
9. Go to fraternity parties until you turn 21, bars aren’t worth the MIP on your record.
10. Stand up for yourself. If you don’t who will?
11.Talk to boys you wouldn’t consider dating. Guys can exist, as friends to ya know. (reference #8)
12. Your hardest days are your biggest life lessons.
13. Go out on a night you shouldn’t, those are the nights that end up being the best.
14. Don’t let others dictate the things you want. Be brave enough to know what YOU want. And do it.
15. Order that pizza at 3am.
16. Make sure to budget, otherwise you will be broke your senior year… aka that’s when you need money the most.
17. Go to all your sorority events. A dumb date function will turn into a great memory 15 yrs down the road.
18. You aren’t going to marry every boy you date. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t date them. You learn something important from each guy who isn’t the one.
19. You WILL be lonely. Don’t be with someone because of loneliness.
20. Document everything. At the end of college you will laugh so hard at that ridiculous country themed function sophomore year with whatshisname.
21. Prince Charming doesn’t come on Tinder.
22. You still need to go to all your classes, that is why you’re here (right?)
23. An internship in a far city can teach you more about life and friendships than the actual internship. (aka if your walking 10 blocks don’t wear wedges)
24. Don’t be afraid to txt first, its Two Thousand and frickin Fourteen.
25. YOU CAN’T PLAN LIFE, it just happens as it happens, so enjoy the ride.
26. These four years will help you grow and (hopefully) mature. You will learn the kinds of friends, boyfriends, classes, people, animals, houses, food, wine, drinks and everything else that suits you.
Thanks for making me into who I am today college. From your 2am nights in the library to nights out on the town, you have taught me more than I could have ever imagined. Thanks for the lessons, the reality check and the memories. You rock never change