Confessions of a Hot Chocolate Addict

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Greetings hot chocolate lovers! I’ve always loved chocolate; milk, dark, white; you name it, I 

love it. Hot chocolate is arguably my favorite way to consume ungodly amounts of chocolate 

aside from ice cream. Since it’s beginning to get colder out, hot chocolate is the logical option,

but it’s impossible to go completely cold turkey from ice cream.  I order hot chocolate 

almost anywhere I go and like to think of myself as a hot chocolate connoisseur. 

Since I have recently found myself with lots of time on my hands…I started researching benefits 

of hot chocolate, not really expecting to find anything. To my surprise, I did! Cornell University 

conducted a study and found that the antioxidant concentration in hot chocolate is almost twice 

as strong as red wine! If that’s not a win-win situation, then I don’t know what is. It’s also three 

times stronger than green tea and almost five times stronger than black tea. Well, it’s safe to say I 

didn’t see that coming. Interestingly enough, hot chocolate also generally has much less fat per 

serving compared to what is found in a regular bar of chocolate. And since we’re all student’s 

who will no doubt be doing a ton of studying this semester, here’s a reason to drink some…the 

American Association for the Advancement of Science found that drinking hot chocolate can 

help you THINK BETTER! Yes, you read that correctly; apparently the flavonoids increase the 

blood flow and oxygen to the brain. Who knew? Definitely not me! 

Now I’m not saying you should be drinking hot chocolate 24/7 and nothing else, there are 

obviously some unhealthy factors about it too, just like everything else in the world. But if you’re 

as addicted as I am and want to skip trying to find the best on your own, take my word for it. Through my 

experimentations, I have come to the conclusion that the best hot chocolate out there is made by 

William Sonoma.  Their classic hot chocolate is so rich and creamy you would 

think you were drinking a pure chocolate bar. While the classic is my favorite, the salted caramel

hot chocolate comes in REALLY close to second and is worth a taste or two as well. Personally, I

am not a peppermint lover, but if you happen to be then you may have just found your heaven.

I have yet to try the gingerbread kind, but it is on my list and I’ll get back to you on the outcome.

You might be thinking that $20 is a lot to spend on a tin of hot chocolate but let me tell you it is 

SO worth it. I think the packaging is cute and definitely helps keep it fresh. I’ve had a tin of it for 

2 years and it’s still as delicious as the first cup! It’s a perfect gift for a chocolate loving friend but warning, if you try 

it, you’re not going to want to give it away!

Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!