The Boys of TigeRoar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

This Campus Celebrity is not just one person but actually fourteen guys who make one amazing group! Clemson’s all-male a cappella group, TIGEROAR, is nothing short of being celebrities on this campus. They’re probably the most well known group of guys at Clemson right behind our football team. Not only do they preform shows in the fall and spring, but also at special events on campus. But it goes further than that, they travel all over the state and share their music. Not to mention, that they melt hundreds of girls’ hearts with even just one song! One of the most memorable things that one member told me was that as music is becoming more futuristic with dubstep and raves, a cappella takes you back. There’s much more feeling and meaning behind the music and the most remarkable part about all of it is that these boys have the power to do such, they take us back with their music.

So who is TIGEROAR?

Though it changes every semester, as of last semester, the group consists of fourteen Clemson students. President Kody Frey is a senior tenor. Vice President David Matthiessen is the only graduate student in the group and contributes as a tenor as well. Rhett Park is the manager and a senior baritone. The music director, James Williams, is a junior tenor. Parker Brookie is a junior tenor and also the marketing director for the group. Another senior tenor, Alex Boots, is the social chair. Matthew Monteith contributes as a senior bass. Two more juniors, Allen Shuford and Jordan Harriz take part as a baritone and tenor. The only sophomore, Forrest Evans, adds as a baritone. Trace Holt and Patrick Munley are both freshmen bass. Freshmen, Andrew Collins and Clayton Little have part in the group as tenor and baritone.

Why did they join?

Most of the guys have different reasons, but they all have the same love for music. Some saw the group in high school when TIGEROAR came to preform on their fall tour, which occurs every fall semester. One member’s roommate was in the group for 4 years before he joined, so he was able to witness much of his experience. But a few said that it seemed like something different the first time they saw it, and that it was a cool opportunity.

What is their experience?

They all participated in singing groups of some form in high school. However, none of them are music majors and each of them has different majors from one another.

I asked the newest members specifically, is it what they expected?

They all said it’s nothing like what they anticipated at all. Andrew Collins recognized that there was a high level of commitment and that it took more of his time than he thought. Clayton Little agreed with Andrew and added he didn’t think it would be as hard and that it’d be such a large amount of work. He also said, “I don’t think a lot of people know how much work we put in as we try to strive for perfection.” Their standards are not to just be good; they want more and don’t get a day off. Patrick predicted it would be tough in the singing aspect, but it requires a lot of focus and technique and everything ended up being just a little higher than expected. He wasn’t sure he’d fit in well with the group, but then realized there was no judgment considering they were a group of guys all with different ages, hobbies, and personalities yes they all were there for the same reason. He stated they “meshed like they’ve known each other their whole lives.” Forrest Evans, who is a forestry major (I was specifically told to include that), was in a whole different situation as a transfer. At his previous tech school, an opportunity like this wasn’t offered. He says it helped finding this group because it helped him with his vocals and with his time management. Trace Holt saw it on YouTube and knew a previous member, but had no clue what to expect from being in the group. Trying out was an interesting process and learning showed him a different side to it, he mentioned that everyone has a different perspective after just auditioning.

Overall, for every single member, not just the new ones, it was a completely different experience than they could have expected.

What is their favorite part of being involved as members?

The music, obviously. But also the fun they have preforming, especially on campus. Also because it is pretty awesome to see what they become as they grow as a group.

Who thinks of these ideas and songs?

Arrangements are most often done in house by members or faculty, currently, David Conley. They also have a box of past music sheets. Any one can arrange songs and present the idea to the group but, as music director, James Williams helps to assign parts to the group and organize the complete product they present to us.

So how long does it take them to memorize a song as a group?

Well it depends on the song. Certain songs, like Some Nights by FUN, took around three weeks to get it down right; but other songs, like when they go Christmas caroling around campus, take only a couple days for them. Midi files are one piece of music for each member’s specific part that they can listen to which helps them to get just their portion down without the distraction of everyone else’s.

With so many guys, is it hard working together sometimes?

Their biggest challenge is focus because they’re all good friends, they also get a little too goofy sometimes. Being in TIGEROAR is a class credit because they are a part of larger ensemble, but with one student led practice a week they had to learn how to get things done on their own.

Any cool stories?

Well after seeing Pitch Perfect as a group in Atlanta, they decided to preform outside the theater after. They made over 100 dollars in around twenty minutes, including a tip they received from a homeless man, that they spent at Chick-fil-a afterwards. But after the movie, people who were leaving were near shocked that a cappella actually existed!

Where are other cool places they’ve preformed?

They’ve stayed near, like Atlanta, UNC Chapel Hill, and various festivals. But they’ve gone far as well, to Washington D.C., Florida, Universal Studios, and even across the country to San Francisco! They take retreats every semester that are about a week long to learn together; while there, they also connect with other a cappella groups and sometimes preform with them eventually.

Sounds pretty cool, right? Well what if you want to become a member of this amazing group?!

They have auditions once every semester. Auditions consist of the audition and call backs, where you work on pitch matching for them to get a feel for voice and you can prove your choir experience to them.

Just being around these guys, I couldn’t help but feel the positive and playful energy throughout the room. They are very much like a fraternity in the aspect that they are all brothers. Within the first minute of interviewing them, it was apparent that they were all actually that close with one another and the chemistry on stage is not just an act. Though they all realize that without the group, they most likely wouldn’t have crossed paths. Despite the attention and all the girls, these boys are humble; they made it clear that humility is what drives them. It was great to recognize that they don’t perform for the attention; they just love it and want to entertain others.

*Because there are lots of guys in the group most responses were contributed by more than one member.

Photo Credit:

http://media.orangeandwhite.com/media/img/photos/2010/10/01/1001TR09_t607.JPG

http://media.orangeandwhite.com/media/img/photos/2011/11/21/1122funeral014_t607.jpg