absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Barack Obama: 7 Things You Might Not Know About Him

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

In honor of President’s Day and Black History Month, I thought it would be fair to write about one game-changing individual who has continued to be pivotal to our society even after his presidency. So, let’s see what you know or don’t know about our dear 44th president:

1. In 1988, Obama attended Harvard Law school where he was the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review.
2. When he lived in Indonesia briefly as a child, he had a pet ape named Tata.
3. He has won two Grammys for Best Spoken Word Album of the Year – one for his reading of “Dreams from My Father” in 2006 and another in 2008 for the audio version of his “The Audacity of Hope.”
4. He worked in a Baskin-Robbins ice cream shop as a teenager, and since then, he hasn’t liked ice cream.
5. He’s written multiple novels, but he also wrote his autobiography, which was published in 1995. The autobiography titled “Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance” is about race relations and deals with his high school days in Hawaii.
6. He collects Spider-Man and Conan the Barbarian comics.
7. Obama’s known for releasing his annual year-end favorites list which includes his favorite songs, movies, and books from each year. His choices might surprise some, but he sure has good taste.

So, did you have any favorite facts? Or did any of them surprise you? I would just like to say I’m forever grateful for his year-end favorites list. Thanks, Obama, for being so cool.

Amor Gray-Williams is a sophomore currently attending Clemson University seeking a degree in Management and a minor in French studies. She loves traveling, singing horribly, taking unphotogenic photos and hanging out with her dog Nico. You can keep up with her @amoaia on Instagram!
Kate Freed

Clemson '21

Hi! My name is Kate Freed and I'm from Raleigh, NC. I'm a sophomore Communication major at Clemson University. I love all things fitness, food, and fashion. I teach kickboxing and barre and am passionate about motivating others to be their best selves.