4 Reasons to Take Care of Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.
Why you need to take time to take care of yourself

Last week, I was walking through the Horseshoe when I recognized the 

unmistakable crowd of a tour group.  I watched as eagerly observant high school 

kids and their equally attentive parents stole glances at myself and other students 

passing through. Watching their mesmerized expressions reminded me of when I 

had been in high school and dreamed of finally becoming a ~college girl~.  But for 

whatever reason, I felt the need to warn them. I felt like a bad poster child for higher 

education as I thought: If you neglect your physical health and personal interests in 

the pursuit of good grades, you TOO could be a college student! This sarcastic and 

intrusive thought, no doubt a product of my late night in Cooper the night before 

and several approaching deadlines, surprised me. I love Clemson and enjoy college 

far more than I did high school. Then why did I sometimes feel like I was making 

sacrifices for the sake of a good GPA and well-rounded resume? 

I had glamorized the life of a college student, as I think we all do. In my mind, 

college was all parties and formals and late night pizza runs. My classes would feel 

like hobbies. I would never work past 3 in the afternoon or waste time on anything I 

found boring. Of course, my freshman year replaced the rose-colored glasses with a 

more realistic outlook. Getting a college degree, as it turns out, is (GASP) difficult. 

You will have to take some boring classes for your major. There will be some 

weekends where you’ll have to sit in Cooper for long hours instead of grabbing 

brunch with your friends. You may even have to skip a football game to study for 

your Chemistry test on Monday. It’s when the balance between work and play is 

thrown that problems arise.

My roommates and I have an unspoken evening ritual where we brew a pot 

of tea and sit at the kitchen table to talk about our week. This past Sunday, we sat 

there gripping our mugs and complaining about the different papers and tests that 

we had in the upcoming week. We all mentioned how we felt pretty ‘cloudy’; we had 

been getting up at 7 in the morning, going to campus to do our work until 6 pm, 

going home for dinner, and getting right back to work. When we went to bed, we 

were exhausted. When we woke up, the process repeated. Tired of the monotonous 

and arduous routine, we decided to make a change. 

Excited by the idea of a fresh start, we decided that on Monday we would 

have a “Treat Yo’ Self Week,” inspired by Donna and Tom from the show Parks and 

Recreation. We wanted to implement self-care into our routine and decided to make 

a challenge out of it. Here are the rules: 

1. Get your work done, but do it in a different setting than you normally 

If you normally spend hours on end in the First floor of Cooper doing your 

homework, switch it up by studying in the Amphitheatre or by bringing a 

blanket and your textbook to Bowman. Clemson is such a beautiful campus, 

and nothing will take the bore out of studying like being surrounded by nature.

2. Move for at least 30 minutes a day

Whether it’s going to a fitness class at Fike or just walking around campus, 

exercise will boost your mood, relieve some stress, and improve your 

immunity; enough said.

3. Take an hour a day to do something that you love

Netflix, journaling, playing an instrument, reading, etc.; the list is endless. 

One of my roommates and I have taken to watching The Vampire Diaries 

reruns and making “mug cakes” every night to unwind. I could probably 

write a dissertation on how perfect Elena and Stefan are as a couple (sorry 

Delena lovers.) 

4. Establish a nightly routine that doesn’t involve technology

As someone who likes to scroll through her Twitter and Pinterest feed before 

bed, this one is especially difficult. However, spending time on your 

computer or phone right before bed has been proven to be disruptive for 

sleep. Pick up a book or magazine, practice yoga, drink some tea; make your 

nightly routine relaxing and enjoyable. 

It’s definitely challenging to follow some of these rules. Putting strict hours 

on school time vs. personal time is especially difficult. Altogether, I felt like the 

quality of my work improved as well as my outlook. Instead of spending an hour on 

Facebook when I was supposed to be studying, I tried to utilize all my time on 

campus. Instead of eating dinner and then going straight back to homework for 

another 3 hours, I was able to use my evenings to read or do yoga or watch a movie. 

We all realize, however, that sometimes rules need to be bent. Sometimes we 

have weeks that are more stressful and can’t afford an hour or two every evening to 

ourselves. Different majors, tests, jobs, and extracurriculars can make it difficult to 

balance relaxation and work. If you take the time to take care of yourself, you will 

probably find that you won’t feel like your spreading yourself thin. Next time you 

feel stressed, listen to your inner Tom Haverford telling you to “treat yo’ self.” After 

all, no one knows what you need better than you.
Junior Psychology major, English minor // I love hot yoga, mint tea, and waving at dogs // My cat and I are the real life Mia Thermopolis and Fat Louis
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!