Why Creating Your Own Major Is Worth It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

I am a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. When I say this the first question I almost always get is: Self-design? What does that mean?

Well, it means what it says. I designed it. Yes, it was a bit tricky, but it was worth it.

I decided I wanted to be a journalist my senior year of high school. I went to Clark expecting to take the concentration in the English department, but once I got here, they dropped it. Lucky for me though, the classes stayed. So I had a decent time finding the classes offered here.

To be a self-designed major at Clark, you must get your area of study approved by the Dean of Students. Then, you must create a curriculum and find your “department”. This means instead of having the one normal advisor, you have three. I luckily had already taken journalism courses and had made connections to the professors.

Finding 12 courses though was the trickier part. There are a limited number of courses in journalism offered at Clark — six at the last time I counted. This means I needed to be a bit more creative in finding the other six courses so that I could major. I went abroad this past summer and took two courses there. I have created an internship course this semester and that counts toward the major, and then next semester I am hoping to study away again to take another two courses for the major. On top of this, I kind of have to create my own honors thesis, which I so far find to be the trickiest aspect as no one is really there to tell me if it’s a bad idea other than my advisors, since no one has done a journalism major like this before.

But beyond the trickiness, it is so worth while. I have been in control of my education more than I can say I have been with psychology major or my English minor. I have been able to understand why I take certain courses and why I shouldn’t take others. I am in control of how I can get to my end goal of being an investigative journalist. It is so much more meaningful this way, I believe. In addition, I was able to concentrate on what I thought was most important. I didn’t have to take a course in creative writing or fiction writing or anything like that. Those aren’t the courses that I need to learn how to write journalistically. I was able to push those aside and strictly choose what was best for me. I was in control.

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.