Why Aren’t We Talking About Somalia?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

A double car bombing Saturday in Mogadishu, Somalia killed over 300 people, making it Somalia’s deadliest attack in history.

At least 400 people were injured.

Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed, the Somalian President, blamed al-Shabaab, a jihadist group in East Africa, for the attacks. While al-Shabaab has not claimed the attacks, the militant group has committed multiple bombings in Somalia in the past and no other group in Somalia has the power to commit such a large-scale attack, analysts said.

The plan was for a minivan to detonate a smaller bomb while a large truck, filled with explosives, entered the scene.

But the minivan was stopped by police. While trying to dismantle the bomb, it exploded. No one was hurt.

The larger truck was stopped at a checkpoint, but it wasn’t until a second checkpoint stop that it was ordered for the vehicle to be thoroughly investigated. According to the Voice of America, the driver panicked and drove off. The truck detonated in an intersection.

It is suspected that this was not where the group planned for the attack to occur. The original location intended for the explosion is not known.

Citizens and officials wore red bandanas around their heads Tuesday as a symbol of solidarity for those hundred killed in the bombings.

The crowd also chanted anti-al-Shabaab slogans, as reported by BBC News.

But then why hasn’t there been much talk about this occurrence?

The attacks are far away, yes, but that doesn’t make it irrelevant.

Two US citizens were among those killed, the US State Department said Tuesday.

“The United States stands with the people and government of Somalia in their commitment to defeating these groups, ensuring the security of their people, and rebuilding their country,” the statement said.

The US has even backed the Ethiopian invasion of Somalia in 2006, in which al-Shabaab lost power. Since, al-Shabaab has really only been in control of rural areas. Though the group has pledged allegiance to al-Qaeda.

The US military has greater power to fight al-Shabaab now under the Trump administration. Drone strikes and raids in Somalia occurred this past summer. But Somalia, obviously, still needs help.

In the wake of the Las Vegas attacks, this is a serious issue that needs to be thoughtfully taken care of. There may not be one right answer, but a solution needs to be drawn. Innocent citizens should not be in danger.

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.
Alexis is a student at Clark University studying Spanish and Political Science. When she's not at the library you can find her watching Netflix (probably Bones or The Office), on the elliptical, on KJP's instagram, or reading the news. She's passionate about politics, travel, and fashion. Her goals for the future include getting a job after graduation and trying to live the ideal New England lifestyle. Alexis is very excited to be a new Campus Correspondent along with Annabelle Merlin. HCXO!