image001 1
image001 1
Courtesy of Panda Express

Orange Chicken Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Two days ago I was craving some delicious orange chicken but did not want to order out because I had been ordering out too much the week prior. Orange chicken is a North American Chinese dish of Hunan origin. I looked up a recipe and realized I could make this myself, so I did; keep in mind this is the “on a budget” recipe, it is not meant to 100% exactly resemble the authentic dish. I took out some ingredients but the end result was still great!

Here is what you will need:

• 1 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 egg whisked
  • 1/2 cup Flour
  • Oil for frying

Sauce: 

-I purchased a sauce from the grocery store that did not have MSG. You can make the sauce using barbecue sauce and sweet marmalade sauce. 

Instructions: 

Place flour in a shallow dish.

Whisk eggs in a different shallow dish.

Dip chicken pieces in the egg mixture and then flour mixture. Place on the plate.

Heat 2 -3 inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.

Cook several chicken pieces at a time. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes, turning them until golden brown. Place chicken on a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat.

You can squeeze out some oil from the chicken with a towel (paper or reusable)

Toss chicken with orange sauce. You can keep some of the sauce to place on rice. 

Joy is a senior at Clark University majoring in Management on a data analytics and marketing track with a minor in Community Youth and Education Studies. She loves going on road trips and spending time with family and friends. She enjoys trying various cultural cuisines (Indian food is her favorite **Chicken saag with a side of naan please**) and has an obsession with going to Morocco.