Lessons I’ve Learned from Living Far from Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

When I moved from Boston to San Francisco at age 7, I never imagined myself living back on the East Coast. Although I had no idea what I wanted to study, or what type of school I wanted to attend, all that I was sure of was that I did not want to stay in California. I wanted a change of scenery, and when I was accepted to Clark with a financial package that I couldn’t turn up, I enrolled pretty much on a whim. Having grown up in a single-parent household, my mom and I have a really close relationship and I couldn’t imagine what life without her would be like. Although it has been hard at times, I somehow survived and have definitely matured during the process. Here are some of the main lessons that I have learned living with no 

• Relationships are key: A lot of people I know take their relationships with family for granted, especially those who live only a short car ride away from home. I have become so much more grateful for my parents, and savor every moment that I have when I’m home. Additionally, being so far away from everyone I loved made me appreciate the friends I have in college a lot more. 
  • Management skills: The first month of college, I got one of those “your bank account balance fell below $25” emails and my mom was furious. I realized that since no one was watching over my spending habits, I had to take money a lot more seriously and put myself on a strict budget. Time management is another skill that I’ve developed over time. My mom used to know when all my assignments were due in high school, and would constantly remind me to get started on them. Once I realized that I was fully responsible for how I allocated my time every day, I chose to use that time wisely. 
  • How to cope: This could apply to anything from stress, to heartbreak, to depression, etc. I was always (and still am) jealous of my friends who can just drive home to their parents when they’re not feeling great. Although I miss my mom every day, I especially miss her when I’m stressed out or when I’m dealing with personal problems. Even though Skype helps, it’s definitely not the same as being with your family in person. However, I do make a point to make at least one long phone call to my parents once a week because there is nothing more reassuring than hearing their voices. I’ve learned to deal with things on my own, and have in turn become a lot more independent and responsible
Annabelle is a Senior at Clark University, finishing her undergraduate studies in Business Management, and starting her MBA studies in the 5th year accelerated degree program at Clark. She loves fashion, photography, and writing!