Fusing Art and Music: Hudson Eakin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Part 1

If you don’t know Hudson Eakin aka DJ Wubson, you should. The Clark senior who just opened for Rusko last week took some time to kick back with us and talk about the show, his company, and his music. His interview was so long I broke it into two parts. Read Part 1 here, and check back next week for Part 2.

Photo by Sampson Wilcox.

Okay, to start off with do you want to explain what exactly it is that you’re doing with music right now?

I run a company with my agent and partner Ross Nibur called BDM. It started off just as a DJ crew with me and three other guys about a little over a year ago. We started off just playing house parties and everything. We taught ourselves how to DJ caveman style, we’d hole up in one of our rooms. Before we knew it, it really took off. We weren’t planning on it, we were just telling our friends and trying to show them something cool. And then we were playing house parties with 100 to 120 kids showing up at a house that you couldn’t get any more people in. We played a gig one night that got busted at two houses. The party was so big at the first house that it got busted so we just moved it to the second one, and we got busted again later.

So from there we got our first residency, we started trying to play out more into Worcester. Two of the guys had to leave, so it fell down to just Justin Akiyama and me, and I was really worried. Around that time Ross approached me and we started talking. He started out just as my agent, getting me gigs and everything, but Ross is a crazy man like me. When we started talking about what we could do with BDM we started getting all these crazy ideas, and it ultimately came down to why the hell not. Now we’ve started taking other forms of art into BDM, we’ve started doing some events, and we’ve started doing some promo for other companies. So: I’m a promoter, I help put on events, and I’m a DJ.  

Right now it’s myself, who’s our dubstep and moomba DJ. I do house but it’s not really my strong point. There’s Justin, who goes by DJ Stardriver, he is totally opposite from me in style. He’s a lot more lighter than I am, whereas I’m a lot darker. He’s also an incredible graphic designer, a graffiti artist who’s just insane. And he’s a hell of a b-boy; he’s actually been break dancing since he got to Clark. Yoni Asulin is our newest addition. He, alongside with Justin, is the head of the dance crew that we’re forming. Everything right now in BDM revolves around electronic music and that scene. We’re definitely hoping to expand it into some sort of studios thing, and we want to compete with the go-go dancers. All they do is shake their booty, and don’t get me wrong, that’s an awesome thing to do. I love shaking booties there’s nothing wrong with that, but I mean Justin and Yoni are freaking DOPE. So they’re starting to alter their styles to be more electronic music appropriate, and that’s going to be really exciting. We’ve got some cool stuff with them that I can’t talk about, but it’s going to be dope.

Then there’s our last member, Sampson Wilcox. Sampson is probably the most qualified out of all of us. He is an artist who has had his work featured around the world. A Sampson Wilcox goes for a very large amount of money, and he hasn’t been turned down from a single gallery he’s tried to get involved with. He actually got one of his pieces of art on the cover of a Swedish textbook. He’s a freaking genius. He’s mostly in charge of our stage design. What we’re trying to do right now is fuse art and music so closely together that you can’t see the line anymore. With Sampson that goal becomes a lot easier, because were trying to do art stages.

Check back next week to read about Hudson’s challenges in creating this company, his mixing process, favorite genres and DJs, and upcoming shows. And in the meantime, be sure to give his mixes a listen

A native of California, Caitlin is now a junior at Clark University in Massachusetts studying Psychology and Communications. She is the advertising manager as well as a contributing writer for her university's newspaper, and is involved in various other clubs as well. In addition, she works as a lifeguard and swim instructor. In her free time she enjoys going to sushi and Starbucks with her friends, listening to John Mayer, and swimming.