This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

The Coronavirus is currently the most talked topic in the news today. As of now, there are currently about 78,773 known cases worldwide. Out of those known cases, 2,462 resulted in deaths. It is important to understand what the Coronavirus is as well as keep in mind how serious it is. Let’s take a look at some of the myths and facts about the coronavirus:

Myth: The Coronavirus is new

Fact: Not exactly. There are many types of Coronaviruses. In the past, there were outbreaks of other viruses such as SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) which is also a type of coronavirus.

Myth: Cold Symptoms = Coronavirus

Fact: Symptoms for the Coronavirus can be similar to symptoms for a common cold. However, this does not automatically mean you have the Coronavirus if you feel sick.

Myth: Having the Coronavirus means that you will die.

Fact: No. Having the Coronavirus does not automatically mean you will die. In fact, currently out of the 78,773 known cases, 23,216 have recovered.

Myth: Wearing any mask means that I am protected from the Coronavirus.

Fact: No. While wearing a mask can be beneficial and provide peace of mind. It is important to understand that the type of mask, as well as the proper use of it, is important.

Michelle is currently majoring in Management with a concentration in Marketing. She loves to travel and hopes to one day take a dip into marketing world.
Joy is a senior at Clark University majoring in Management on a data analytics and marketing track with a minor in Community Youth and Education Studies. She loves going on road trips and spending time with family and friends. She enjoys trying various cultural cuisines (Indian food is her favorite **Chicken saag with a side of naan please**) and has an obsession with going to Morocco.