Culture > News

Emma Watson’s New Term “Self-Partnered”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Emma Watson called herself “self-partnered” last week, and it has been met with mixed reviews.

Watson asserted her relationship status in a British Vogue interview for the December issue, her new alternative for the word “single.”

The 29-year-old actress described her stress about turning 30 while figuring herself out and navigating through relationships.

“I am dating, yeah, as in not one specific person, but I am going on dates,” the 29-year-old began, explaining that she’s usually set up through friends she met in college or in her life outside of film. She also has become friends with exes,” the Los Angeles Times writes.

This is on the heels of Watson being photographed kissing a mystery man last month.

Some people are all for it.

The takeaway from this piece isn’t the term “self-partnered” but the fact that you can be a BAFTA recipient, UN goodwill ambassador, and beloved icon of a generation of women and people will still ask if you feel like a failure because you’re 30 and not married with kids. https://t.co/pxSPUhWswH

— andi zeisler (@andizeisler) November 5, 2019

Others, though, are not, telling her to get a “bloke” and Piers Morgan, for example, calling it “rubbish.”

Emma Watson: Makes a very valid point about the absurd pressures placed on women with regards to expectations over family/partners and that being single is fine. The internet: #SelfPartnered!! LOL!!1!

— Jim Ross (@JimGR) November 5, 2019

Born on April 15, 1990 in Paris, Watson was raised in England. Watson is best known for playing Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter film franchise, alongside co-stars Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint.

A graduate of Brown University, Watson became very vocal about fair trade as well as women’s rights. She was appointed as a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador and has spoken for women on multiple occassions.

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.