Contagion Predicted the Coronavirus Pandemic?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Predictive Programming is the power of suggestion using the media of fiction to create the desired outcome (Alan Watt). An example of this would be the conspiracy theory that the Simpson’s show predicted 9/11, Trump being elected, etc. The way predictive programming works is essentially when you watch a movie or show and an event similar to the movie/show occurs in real life, you are really not that surprised. Some people think this is the government’s way of warning the public. Others think those who believe in conspiracy theories are attention seekers, either way, I do not think any of these connections are a coincidence.   

Contagion (2011) ~Beth Emhoff, played by Gwyneth Paltrow, comes back from a trip to Hong Kong and dies in a matter of days due to a mysterious illness. Before others start to display similar symptoms, an outbreak occurs worldwide. Just like in the movie, a sense of fear hovers over many about what is to come. A message of “one contagion” in the movie is mentioned meaning all you need to get the virus is to come in contact with one person, very much like the coronavirus. 

The disease in Contagion spreads very quickly and rapidly. Beth Emhoff dies in a short amount of time after coming back from her trip. Bodies pile up on empty streets, airports, creating mass graves. The ‘CDC’ in the movie keeps the public up to date on the number of cases all around the world. The disease is airborne and the movie puts a large emphasis on not touching things because everything is infected. It recommends the public to not touch each other, doorknobs, etc. Obviously there are differences between the movie and what is going on in real life today with the corona-virus.  Some I have mentioned but here is another: if you have the disease you are dead. In Contagion, there is no cure, there is no getting better, those who become infected die. In contrast, there have been reports of people who survived the corona-virus, so there is hope.   

Another contrast is in the movie, the president is moved to an underground location. I have not heard of any plans to move the current president or other government personnel underground but I would not be surprised if it occurred. Essentially the overall message is to really think about what you have watched on television and if you have ever had a deja-vu moment in real life. You may realize there are many examples where predictive programming has been present. 

Joy is a senior at Clark University majoring in Management on a data analytics and marketing track with a minor in Community Youth and Education Studies. She loves going on road trips and spending time with family and friends. She enjoys trying various cultural cuisines (Indian food is her favorite **Chicken saag with a side of naan please**) and has an obsession with going to Morocco.