Culture > News

9-year-old Wrote Letter to Steph Curry And The Response Will

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

9-year-old Riley Morrison wrote a letter to Steph Curry, the Golden State Warriors point guard, asking why the Curry 5 shoes are not available for girls.

“I asked my dad to buy me the new Curry 5’s because I’m starting a new basketball season,” Morrison wrote. “My dad and I visited the Under Armour web site and were disappointed to see that there were no Curry 5’s for sale under the girls section.”

Morrison wasn’t going to let that stop her though.

“They did have them for sale under the boys section, even to customize,” Morrison wrote. “I know you support girl athletes because you ave two daughters and you host an all girls basketball camp. I hope you can work with Under Armour to change this because girls want to rock the Curry 5’s too.”

Morrison’s dad shared the letter on Instagram and Twitter in hopes that Curry and his people would see it, and they did.

“Unfortunately we have labeled the smaller sizes as ‘boys’ on the website,” Curry responded in his letter to Morrison. “We are correcting this NOW! I want to make sure you can wear my kicks proudly — so I am going to send you a pair of Curry 5s now AND you’ll be one of the first kids to get the Curry 6. Lastly, we have something special in the works for International Women’s Day on March 8th, and I want you to celebrate with me! More to come on that, but plan to be in Oakland that night!”

Curry tweeted the letter with a sentence of his appreciation.

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.