This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

The fall isn’t just a time for classes, apple picking, and—because who could forget—pumpkin spiced lattes. September has brought with it a slew of new singles and albums. Here’s just a few.

1. “american dream,” LCD Soundsystem

I must admit I’ve never heard of this band before it popped up on my “New Releases” playlist. The American rock band released “american dream” on September 1. The music is almost dreamlike, as the song is synthpop. The music is very repetitive, but it adds to the feel of the song itself. I’ll definitely be checking out LCD Soundsystem’s other music.

2. “…Ready For It?,” Taylor Swift

Released September 3, it is a single from her sixth album, Reputation. 2017-Swift is the opposite of 2006-Swift. The song is very club-like, with a lot of static sounding bass lines. “…Ready For It?” received better reception critically than Swift’s earlier release, “Look What You Made Me Do” This being said, “…Ready For It?” seemed to have been swept-under-the-rug compared to its predecessor.

3. “You’re The Best Thing About Me,” U2

The September 6 release is the first single from U2’s upcoming fourteenth album, Songs of Experience. The chorus riff is similar to that in “Beautiful Day.” Two years since the band put free music on everyone’s iPhones, I say they are making a comeback with this song. It’s very catchy an upbeat tune. The song obviously hits at home for lead guitarist The Edge, as his daughter is photographed on the cover.

4. “Too Good at Goodbyes,” Sam Smith

Smith released his first song in two years on September 8. Smith continues is gospel feel through the chorus from his previous album, In the Lonely Hour. The song starts with simply Smith’s voice, adding a captivating intro. The song continues to stay simple; there is a simple riff in the background played by a guitar and drums, and they fade during the bridge to bring snapping to light. Personally, when I find a song I love, I tend to play it on repeat. This is my “repeat song” at the moment.

5. “Love So Soft,” Kelly Clarkson

The American Idol star is back with her new song release September 7. “Love So Soft” is a soulful song with a heavy bass line. The chorus has a minimal instrumental background, adding to the song’s body-moving vibe. Clarkson’s amazing vocal ability is very evident in this song. Her range from the lower gospel moments to the high Christina-Aguilera-like trill is showcased.

6. “Dusk Till Dawn,” Zayn feat. Sia

Released September 7, “Dusk Till Dawn” is the precursor to Zayn’s second album. The song is a lot slower than Zayn’s first big hit, “Pillowtalk.” The chorus is more Sia-like, having a similar feel and pace of fast chorus to slow verse as in “Cheap Thrills.”

7. “Disco Tits,” Tove Lo

Tove Lo’s September 7 release is innuendo-free. The lead song is from Lo’s upcoming third album. The song is a mix of difference tempos between chorus and verse sections. It’s a dance song, considered electroclash. While the lyrics are blunt, the music itself is almost held back. “Disco Tits” is about “losing yourself with your new found love.”

8. “For Love,” filous feat. Klei

Written and produced by filous, “For Love” was released September 8. The Austrian producer’s song is more bubbly and carefree sounding. The bells in the background add to the uniqueness of the song. It also ends on an abrupt, fast beat. The pop song is good for both background music as well as gatherings. filous asks listeners: What would you give up for love?

9.“Find You,” Nick Jonas

Released September 14, “Find You” is Jonas’s second attempt this year for a big hit; the former Jonas Brothers member dropped “Remember I Told You” in May. “Find You” is unique mix of acoustic guitar and electronic drum beats. The song fades out at one point just to come back in the next second stronger and bigger than before, making this a dance-worthy song.

10. “Too Much to Ask,” Niall Horan

Horan, who used to be part of the boy band One Direction, released his third single September 15. Flicker, which will feature “Too Much to Ask,” “Slow Hands,” and “This Town,” is set to debut October 20, as announced on Horan’s Instagram page. The song begins with Horan’s voice accompanied with a piano. The chorus though sounds almost country-like, not “fitting in” with what I was expecting from a Horan song. Though I must admit the more I’ve listened to it, the more it’s growing on me.

Happy listening!

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.
Alexis is a student at Clark University studying Spanish and Political Science. When she's not at the library you can find her watching Netflix (probably Bones or The Office), on the elliptical, on KJP's instagram, or reading the news. She's passionate about politics, travel, and fashion. Her goals for the future include getting a job after graduation and trying to live the ideal New England lifestyle. Alexis is very excited to be a new Campus Correspondent along with Annabelle Merlin. HCXO!