Supernatural’s Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, and Misha Collins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

Supernatural is my favorite tv show and not just because of the eye-candy actors. Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, and Misha Collins are all genuinely caring and charitable individuals. They have amazing on-screen chemistry, especially Jared and Jensen, who are best friends in real life. They play brothers, Sam (Jared) and Dean (Jensen) Winchester who in the beginning haunt monsters and ghosts and evolved into saving the world from the apocalypse and so much more. Castiel (Misha), an angel, appeared on the show starting in Season 4 and has been present ever since. Supernatural is currently on its 13th season and is the CW’s longest running show.

If you don’t watch Supernatural I’m sure you are familiar with these actors from other shows. Jared played one of Rory’s boyfriends, Dean Forester, in Gilmore Girls. He also starred in the horror movies Friday the 13th (2009) and House of Wax (2005). Jensen played Alec in Dark Angel, C.J. in Dawson’s Creek. And Jason Teague in Smallville. He also starred in a horror movie called My Bloody Valentine (2009).

Jared started a t-shirt campaign in March 2015 on represent.com with a shirt featuring a picture of him with the words “Always Keep Fighting” on it to benefit the TWLOHA (To Write Love on Her Arms) organization. He was inspired to do this after one of his close friends who struggled with depression committed suicide. He wanted to raise awareness about depression and mental health, something he has admitted to struggling with, and raise money for an organization that deals with those things. The campaign was a huge hit, leading to him doing more t-shirt campaigns on repsent.com, two with Jensen, to benefit other charity organizations like Wounded Warriors and the ASPCA. “Always Keep Fighting” became a catchphrase for Supernatural fans after this campaign. Jared and Jensen teamed up with Misha (and Random Acts, TWLOHA, IMAlive, and Pop Culture hero Coalition) for another campaign, called You Are Not Alone, to raise money for a Supernatural crisis support network, which they ended up doing. The crisis support network is still being worked on and you can even sign up to be a crisis counselor on their site and they’ll train you for free. For more information go to: https://www.randomacts.org/crisis-support-network/

Speaking on Random Acts, Misha Collins actually founded Random Acts. It all started in 2009 when Misha asked his Twitter followers (aka his minions) to come up with ideas for a “minion stimulus project”, with the goal being to get government money to fund aid endeavors for non-profit organizations. He ended up morphing into a privately organized charity, formerly known as Minion Stimulus, now known as Random Acts. Random Acts is a well-known organization and movement that centers around committing random acts of kindness and includes Class Act (an award program for schools all over the world), Kindness Heroes (completing ten levels of kindness), Juneau Year of Kindness (a year-long initiative in Juneau, Alaska where kindness events will be held in the community), and the newly formed the crisis support network (a community support network for those suffering from mental health issues and cyber-bullying).

Jared supports A Dog’s Life Rescue, Alzheimer’s Association, American Cancer Society, Dolphin Project, Operation Smile, and To Write love on Her Arms. Jensen also supports the Alzheimer’s Association, American Cancer Society, and Operation Smile. In addition to Random Acts, Misha also supports Mercy Corps, Operation Smile, and Represent.Us.