Social Media: Are you Addicted?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

In today’s society pretty much everyone takes their phone with them everywwhere they go. Our generation has adapted to the use of technology not only as a means of communication, but also for entertainment, news, and countless other reasons. With apps like Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat, it is easy to stay in touch with friends and even keep up with your favorite celebrities. Although there are positives to this technology, I have found that sometimes it can become a bit overwhelming. By using these apps and others we are in a constant state of overstimulation. Whether we realize it or not we are being overloaded with information from a variety of sources on a daily basis. The average teen spends up to 9 hours a day on social media and checks their social media platforms up to 100 times a day. Taking a look at this information really puts things into perspective. There are 24 hours in a day and close to half of them we have our noses in our phones, but why? What is so captivating about social media that makes us continue to use it? We are so used to being able to see what others are doing, or where they’re going, or what they’re buying, that we find it interesting. Especially when it comes to celebrities. They live a life that many of us will probably never get to fully experience. Many people wish that they could do what celebrities do. This is probably why Kylie Jenner has remained the most viewed person on snapchat.

Social media is harmful in a way, because it can encourage users to compare what they have or don’t have to others. Social media can have effects on the self esteem of users. It is easy to feel less than or inferior to peers after seeing a photo or tweet. Also it is a breeding grounds for cyberbullying. While not everyone may experience these things, they are still possibilities. Alternating between all of your social media accounts may also feel stressful at times. Keeping up with tweets, likes, snaps, and direct messages can be a lot to manage, especially when you’re a full time student. If you find yourself scrolling down your timeline more than you are flipping through the pages of your textbook, it may be time to make some changes. Now I’m not saying you have to delete the apps because that may be somewhat drastic, but try and monitor your social media usage. Maybe limiting yourself to a certain amount of time on Instagram per day or only going on after you’ve completed your assignments can help. It’s all about finding a balance. Social media should not be the focus of your life. If you are constantly comparing yourself to others and wishing you had what they had you will miss out on the things in your life that are already positive. It is perfectly okay to logout every once in a while and do something besides staring at a screen. Take a walk, read a book, write a poem, paint, or start that diy project you’ve been meaning to do. Take time out away from the distraction of social media to enjoy things that truly bring you pleasure. I promise your followers will understand.