Life > Experiences

During Sorority Recruitment, Ask Your Sister These Questions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

Not only do the sororities want to get to know you but you want to get to know what kind of people are in that sorority. It gives you a chance to see if you would get along with these groups. You want to know about the sororities that you are talking to. I remember when I went through sorority recruitment and they asked me if I had any questions. I was alarmed and at the time did not have any to ask. Now almost two years later I find that asking questions makes you stand out as a potential new member. Here are some questions that you could ask a sister at recruitment:

What made you join (insert sorority name here)?

Everyone joins their sorority for a different reason. Maybe if you can find out what stood out to them, it might stand out to you.

Do you have a goal that you would like to reach within your chapter?

Everyone has a goal that they would like to reach in their chapter. Whether it’s getting that one position in the chapter or getting something started on campus. Listening to the sisters to hear what they are passionate about for their chapter could help you make that decision.

What is one aspect of your sorority that makes it stand out?

You could learn a lot more about what the potential sorority has in store for you. Having a sister describe one unique thing that stands out for them that maybe you, as a potential member doesn’t see, is helpful for you.

What’s the most rewarding thing about being in a sorority?

Not everyone is going to have the same answer. It varies and hearing the different answers of what you could be getting out of sorority life is inspiring.

What’s your fondest memory that you have with your sisters?

This is just a fun question that could get a lot of funny stories and even show you what you could be getting involved.

What is one characteristic about your sisters that you value most?

Being able to describe the sisters is always heartwarming for me. I love my sisters dearly and that could show you the support that you would be getting from your potential sisters.

Are you involved in any other organizations, if so what are they?

The sisters are not only a part of the sorority. They can be a part of other clubs and maybe find something that you have in common could lead to an even more fun conversation.

How do you balance your time between academics, sorority events, and other activities?

This is a good one because like I said, the sisters are not only a part of the sorority. They are a part of the university, other clubs and maybe even some sports. Finding out how they balance their time could help you balance yours.

Did you have any concern when you joined the sorority? And how did you approach the concern?

Finding out if the sisters had any concerns when they went through could maybe see how they conquered that concern.

I'm Lydia! I am a Nursing major with a minor in Psychology. I'm a sister of Phi Sigma Sigma and a member of the Outdoors Club. I love eating pizza and watching Netflix