The Best Food For Thanksgiving!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

My favorite time of the year for food is Thanksgiving. I love turkey so much, more than ham, so this is my time of the year. My family gathering is small, but we always make tons of food. I love the fact of Thanksgiving leftovers. There is a lot of food that most people eat on Thanksgiving. Most eat the traditional turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing. While I do love those foods, I love the different things my family makes more.

This is cheesy potatoes. This is ultimately my favorite food for Thanksgiving. It’s usually hash browns, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese, and butter. The topping varies from person to person. Personally, I love when it has corn flakes on top. It makes the dish so much better. It’s cheesy and sweet. I love it so much.

I also love my mom’s homemade mac & cheese. It’s so much better than boxed because she adds a lot of pepper and four kinds of cheeses. We recently have been putting breadcrumbs on top and it’s surprisingly delicious.

Mashed potatoes are the number one after turkey. They pair so well together. I’m not a typical gravy person. I’ve always loved the sweet gravy so much more than salty. If you’ve ever had sweet or ham gravy, try it for the mashed potatoes and turkey. It’s so much better and adds a better flavor than the typical salty flavor most are used to.

Pumpkin pie is what everyone has at Thanksgiving. Frankly, I’m not a fan of pumpkin. I started making my original “Overloaded Peanut Butter Pie”. This pie consists of your favorite peanut butter pie recipe, homemade cookie dough, Reese’s cups, Oreo cookies, and m&m’s. It sounds like a lot, but I used to make it all the time. It was a hit with all of my friends in high school. The best part was that it was made with either Oreo or graham cracker crust.

The best dessert of all time has to be sweet potato pie. Sweet potatoes are my favorite food in the first place and making them a dessert is even better. Some people put sweet granola or marshmallows on top. It just adds a wonderful sweetness to all of the other savory foods.

I know I’m excited to go home for my family, friends, and home cooked meals. I can’t wait to experience all of the familiarity of home. Thanksgiving is a good time to have fun and make/eat food. The best thing to do is to help and make it worth the while.