A Trip Around London: Ten Stops, Ten Markets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

With the first term almost over and assignment deadlines threateningly close, every spare second of our free time must be quality. Therefore, I would like to invite you to an adventure: the discovery of London and its famous markets. Top up your Oyster card and get ready to go!

First stop: London Bridge, Borough MarketThis is not only the biggest food market in London, but also in the whole country. The market is so huge that to help people finding what they want, they have developed a specific app that you can use from the market’s official website. By selecting which type of food you would like to eat, the app will look for you the nearest stall and the best trade in the market for that specific product.

Second stop: Liverpool Street, Petticoat Lane Market In Middlesex Street you will find all the clothes you want for half price! Petticoat is the famous Sunday market where you can always find everything you are looking for and lots of other things you could’t even think about. Don’t miss one of its specialities: leather wear in Aldgate East. More than a thousand stalls are open every Sunday from 9am to 3pm, but some of them are always open even during the week.

Third stop: Brushfield Street, Spitalfields MarketAt walking distance from Petticoat Lane, you will find Spitalfields Market. This is London’s oldest market and is now open seven days a week. The market hosts shops as well as the renowned antiquaries stalls. Together they create the unique atmosphere of having modern interior-design shops and original artworks all in one place.

Fourth stop: Hanbury Street, UpMarketHalfway between Petticoat and Spitalfield there is an indoor market, accessible from Hanbury Street, Brick Lane and Ely’s Yard. This is probably the market that best suits the taste of the youngsters, with its over 140 stalls selling the most creative items, from accessories to music. Most of the items you can buy are the product of the original and innovative mind of the stalls holders themselves, considered real artists and not just sellers.

Fifth stop: Angel, Chapel MarketChapel Market is a daily street market that sells fruits, vegetables and fish. This has become the favourite shopping centre of many students. The selling price, the variety and the quality of the of the goods have made it popular, especially between international students. If you decide to go shopping around closing time, usually 4pm, you can be sure to have the best deal of the day. This is, in fact, a daily-use market and stall holders try to have no unsold products left.

Sixth stop: Camden Town, Camden LockThis is the most imaginative market in London. The atmosphere is the typical surreal environment that made Camden famous in the world. Between clothes, alternative music and cult films you can find a palmist or you can even get a tattoo done. Independent bookshops are another must-see of the market: you can find a selection of the rarest books, from poetry to political publications.

Seventh stop: Notting Hill Gate, Portobello MarketIts name is so popular that this market is now one of London’s main touristic attractions. The market stretches for more than two miles, mainly on Portobello Road, in the heart of Notting Hill. The homonym film is one of the reasons this place so famous. People love to walk between the stalls and then stop to take pictures in one of the film locations, like the bookshop.

Eighth stop: Bond Street, Bayswater RoadMore than a market, this is an open-air art show. Every Sunday, over 250 artists from around the world transform it in a live exposition gallery with their original works. You can observe artists on the job, talk with them and commission your personal piece of art too. There is also an online version of the show thanks to which you can follow what is going on via a webcam.

Ninth stop: Oxford Circus, Piccadilly MarketOpen since 1984, this is the paradise of antiquaries and collectables. Vintage articles, craft works, original productions represent the real essence of this market. But the very unique value of the items for sale in here is the care each traders put in the research of the best and rare products in the world. Many traders travel abroad to source their goods direct from as far as Tibet, India, Egypt and Africa.

Last stop: Covent Garden, Covent Garden MarketThis is one and three markets together. Apple Market, East Colonnade Market and Jubilee Market, all indoor markets that offer everything you want to see and buy. Arts and crafts are common to all three, while Jubilee is specialised in antiquaries. Apple and East Colonnade host a variety of stalls, where you can buy original products made by the traders themselves, from children’s toys, jewellery, clothes, accessories, to hand-made soap, painting and cards.