element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 5 Christmas Movies You Must See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

Christmas is coming so fast! Especially in London, carol singing and overspending on Christmas presents make you feel the atmosphere everywhere. But when we’re fed up with shopping and (baby) it’s cold outside, as the lyrics of a popular holiday song remind us, it is good to taste this exceptional atmosphere while sitting on the couch under a cosy blanket. So the short list of top 5 Christmas movies should help, unless you have already seen them. Enjoy!

• 1. Christmas Vacation (1989)I know there are different senses of humour but I bet this is a movie one cannot stay indifferent to. Chevy Chase putting 15,000 thousands of Christmas lamps on house’s roof , a completely burnt down Christmas tree and the Griswold’s family reunion must be amusing.
  • 2. Love actually (2003)Probably no good reason to recommend such a classic. Everyone knows it. But with my true, deep love for London and Joni Mitchell and the Beach Boys (final song!), I do not hesitate to say once again how great this movie is.
  • 3. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)There is also a more recent 1994 version, but classics must endure. This wonderful movie perpetuates our faith in Santa and “Christmas magic”. Starring John Payne and Maureen O’Hara, this is a black and white movie pearl.
  • 4. Scrooged (1988)Do not expect another Dicken’s “A Christmas Carol” adaptation, but a paraphrase. Here we’ve got Bill Murray as a Frank Cross, who hates Christmas due to his harsh childhood. But he will gradually discover what it is really all about. The soundtrack is a mix-up of traditional Christmas hits with the tune of the late 80s. Watch out for Annie Lennox’s song…
  • 5. Hercule Poirot’s Christmas (1995)Not a conventional, gleeful Christmas story, but more of some crime. Agatha Chrisite’s detective is investigating the murder of the wealthy patriarch during the family holiday reunion. Mysterious and thrilling alternative, still with Christmas trees as a scenography.