‘Picture My Dreams’, Empower Yourself: Interview with Alye Begum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

Have you ever wondered what it takes to launch your own project or business? Have a passion and/or interest but don’t know where to start? Or even considering what to do after university? HerCampus City London had a chat with graduate Alye Begum, founder of creative project Picture My Dreams – an initiative to empower young people to express themselves through art and photography.

Firstly, tell us a bit about yourself. Where do I start? I am a British born Bangladeshi female. I have recently graduated with honours in Psychology and Sociology and I am currently working for an anti-bullying charity called Kidscape, as well as juggling the checkout girl role at my local supermarket. I am also working on my own project, ‘Picture my Dreams’.

How did this project come about? Initially, the project I set out to pursue was called ‘Chasing Paper Dreams’. It was thought to be a platform that gave support, empowered and raised aspirations of young girls who have experienced any form of trauma or abuse in their lives. I was fortunate enough to receive funding from O2 to do my project but I realised that I was not well equipped with the knowledge or expertise to provide the adequate support these young girls needed. I still wanted to do something that empowered the youth, together with my passion for photography and interest in creative forms of therapy such as art and music therapy. I am not a photographer but I have always loved taking photos and loved the way every picture tells a story. I wanted to begin a project that could help young people to express their thoughts and feelings via photography and other forms of creative art.

What was your inspiration? My inspiration came from my dissertation, which I did on the educational experience of first and second generation Bangladeshi women. I found that these women received education but in different forms. The first one received ‘cultural’ education, whereby women were informally taught how to be a good wife, mother, daughter, how to cook, etc. The second generation was more ambitious and career-focused. I was always interested in empowering youth and wanted to help those that were in need of motivation/ inspiration to pursue their dreams and ambitions.

What motivates you? Many things. I like to know that I have made a positive impact on someone’s life and know that through my help they have managed to make a more positive change in their lives. I believe that every person has some kind of talent, whether they know it or not, I want to be able to draw that talent from that person and help them realise their own potential.

What do you find most challenging about your job? Hearing some of the stories that young people have gone through or have to deal with. This motivates me further to really do something that will help young people such as these, because if they do not receive the correct support, it will have damaging effects later in life. 

How does it feel to be your own boss? I do not feel like the boss at all. I share my responsibilities and passion with my friend Hannah who is a professional photographer and is doing the project with me. When I work with young people, I do not want them to perceive me as an authoritative figure or ‘boss’ because they may feel intimidated by this. I want them to see me as someone who they can relate to, who understands them and they are able to trust with personal details of their lives.

What advice can you give for those who want to start their own project? Utilise your support network, stay motivated and do not give up. If ever you feel you are lacking motivation, think about all those people that need YOUR help and what effect your project can have on these people. Whatever dream or ambition you have, pursue it and make sure it is something you are passionate and interested in.

What do you like to do in your spare time? I love spending time with my family and friends. I enjoy working on my project and being creative. I have recently started writing a book which keeps me busy. I volunteer a lot of my time too and feel really rewarded from this. As one of my interests lies in photography, I enjoy travelling around London taking pictures. I plan to travel across England and continue my passion for photography and create a scrapbook of my journey.

Finally, what are you most thankful for? First and foremost, I am thankful for the presence of God in my life. I thank my parents for always supporting and encouraging me to succeed in life and pursue my dreams and lastly, I’m thankful for my wonderful support network which consists of supportive friends and collegues.

For more info check out the website or tweet @picturemydreams.

Pictures from Picture my dreams and City and Style