Film Review: The Place Beyond the Pines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

The Place Beyond the Pines is a tale of the fragile relationships between fathers and sons, their actions and consequences, their lives and deaths.

Among the loud and proud summer blockbusters that have been dominating our screens for the past few years this is a quietly powerful and moving film that spins a cataclysmic web of tragedy, heartbreak and the split-second decisions that can haunt us for the rest of our lives.

Luke, played by Ryan Gosling, is a tattoo riddled, motorcycle riding bad boy who quits his life as a stunt rider in a traveling fairground act when he finds out his last fling ended up with a baby, Jason. Eva Mendes foregoes her usual glamorous roles to play Romina, hard-working waitress and Jason’s mother. She has since found a more stable partner to care for her six-month-old son.

Luke gets a job as a mechanic to help them, but he barely makes any money. In his desperation he turns to robbing banks, and he collides with white-collar cop Avery Cross, played by Bradley Cooper.

The film sprawls over a time period of 17 years and documents the initial clash between Luke and Avery and the repercussions those closest to them are left to deal with. The stellar cast has no vanities or qualms about bringing these raw and flawed characters to life. They want the best for those they love but often end up about doing it in the wrong way.

Director Derek Cianfrance, who previously directed the acclaimed Blue Valentine, has magnificent storytelling skills and this movie has the potential to be a true masterpiece in every sense of the word. Every frame is rich with pain, loss and true human emotions that few other people are able to capture anymore.

There is a particular scene where Luke is riding his motorbike on a long winding road flanked by thick forests either side; the long contemplative shots are coupled with a gorgeously sadpiece of music, ‘Snow Angel’, composed by American singer/songwriter Mike Patton. It is the most beautiful and moving sequence in the entire film. It stays with you, as does the rest of this story, long after you’ve left the dark cinema room and gone back to reality. 

Pictures from: kelownanow.com; 8tracks.com/; nineronline.com