Why Sex and the City is So Very Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Strong females, a bustling city, love, careers, fashion, and everything in between; Sex and the City made its debut in 1998. Other than being hilarious and incredibly entertaining, I believe this series serves another purpose.

The series follows the lives of four independent women all pursuing various careers and men in the Big Apple. Whether you noticed it while catching re-runs on E, or binge watching on HBO, these women were breaking down stereotypes of the female gender and supporting each other while doing it.

Carrie Bradshaw showed us that having kids isn’t for everyone- and that it’s totally okay! Now back in ’98 this was probably some pretty ground-breaking stuff. A woman who doesn’t want kids?! What’s wrong with her! She was plenty happy without children, and for a while didn’t see herself getting married either. Besides- who needs kids when you have Manolos?

Miranda Hobbes was extremely independent, and expressed multiple times that she had no desire for kids or marriage (don’t tell Brady).  She worked hard to support herself and was a very successful lawyer working at a law firm dominated by men. Her cynical view on romance and the concept of soulmates made us all laugh, but her strength empowered us.

Charlotte York was more of the traditionalist of the friend group. She desired having a husband one day, and wanted kids as well as her career. She was relatable to the hopeless romantics (much like myself) out there. She had high standards for her men, and showed us that there is nothing wrong with wanting to be monogamous and motherly.

Samantha Jones showed us, well, a lot. Her carefree spirit and sex drive showed women everywhere that it is totally normal to desire such things in life. She was happy with herself and her choices, and didn’t care what anyone else had to say about it.

Overall, the show empowered and continues to empower women everywhere, and showed us that there is no one way to be a woman.

Maddie Huggins is a fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati. Originally from Columbus, she quickly learned to swap out the OSU scarlet and grey for UC red and black. Maddie has loved writing since she was a little girl and is always down for a good time. She prides herself in being the world's best hugger.