The Mess that is Cincinnati Weather: Winter Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Look familiar? It might this winter! Hard to say when you live in Cincinnati, but just wait and see for yourself.

Weather changes quickly here in Cincinnati and there is nothing more important than having the right mentality for the impending doom that is your average Cincinnati winter. Between snow days, ice days, and sixty-degrees-in-December-days, Cincinnati likes to throw us curveballs. For all you newbies here in Cincinnati, here is a little taste of what to expect on a typical winter day:

7 a.m. Time to get ready for the first class of the day. The weather channel says it is 30 degrees outside this morning. What does that mean? Might as well throw on 3 or 4 coats because that wind tunnel on Main Street is dangerously cold. Better safe than sorry. What else? Maybe a scarf. And three pairs of socks. And gloves. Okay, I think we’re ready.

7:01 a.m. This is a Weather Channel update: Cincinnati temperature has spiked to 50 degrees for your morning! Break out those flip-flops! *Quickly takes off three out of the four layers, two pairs of socks, and the gloves.*

7:45 a.m. Out the door and on the way to 8 a.m. classes. I see you, Cincy! Fifty degrees? I can roll with this.

9:20 a.m. Somehow several inches of snow have fallen by this point. Possible widespread hypothermia.

11 a.m. Melting ice and slush fill the streets in a not-so-unexpected twist. No need for those four coats now, but you are still recovering from the hypothermia earlier in the day. Might as well go home and watch Netflix because this day is not going to get any easier.

Need I go on? Hopefully you get the idea, but if you’re new to town, we’ll cut you some slack. By the end of the first semester, though, it’s guaranteed you’ll become perfectly clear why Cincinnatians complain about our winters—or, just our weather in general. Temperatures seem to jump 30 degrees during just one class, so you may not even bother to check the weather in the morning. By afternoon, that warm dress, tights, and sweater combination will have you questioning why you ever moved to Cincinnati when you’re sweating on your walk down Main Street. But then you remind yourself what gorgeous falls and springs we have and realize that it will have to end sooner or later…right? So grab a heavy coat with a pair of shorts and prepare yourself for the struggle that is typical Cincinnati weather.

Be sure to tag #TypicalCincinnatiWeather when complaining via social media—we’d love to join in on the rant!

Julia Saxton

Cincinnati

Julia is a senior at the University of Cincinnati and studies communication, psychology, and sociology. She has a passion for writing and is very excited to be a part of the Her Campus Cincinnati chapter! Other than Her Campus, Julia is also inolved with the UC Career Development Center and works at a YMCA as a swim coach. 
Ashleigh is a sophomore at the University of Cincinnati studying Journalism. She has a passion for writing, making people laugh, and random tokens of kindness. Born and raised in Kentucky, yet the furthest thing from a country girl! City life is the only life for her, and she is proud to call Cincinnati home.