Meet Sonya Sorrells: A Girl with Big Dreams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Her Campus Cincinnati had the honor of featuring Sonya Sorrells as our Campus Celebrity this week. Sonya knew from the start of her freshman year that she would make her mark on UC’s campus—and she certainly has. Sonya is currently involved with numerous organizations here at UC, but her biggest dream is to create her own organization for minority youth after graduation.

Sonya, pictured center

Name: Sonya Sorrells

Age: 22

Year: 4th Year

Major: Marketing and Business Economics

Organizations Involved With: The Lambda Society, CWEST, B.A.S.E., Lindner Women in Business, Darwin T. Turner Scholar, and Business Fellows

Describe Yourself in 3 Words: Ambitious, Determined, and Compassionate

Her Campus: What made you want to attend UC?

Sonya Sorrells: I always wanted to attend the University of Cincinnati. As soon as I visited, I knew this was the university for me. I will never regret my decision because UC is my Bearcat Family forever.

HC: You recently ran for Miss Kuamka this month. How was that experience?

SS: I am so proud that I stepped outside of my comfort zone and decided to run for Ms. Kuamka. The experience was very rewarding, not only because I received Runner Up, but also because I learn more about myself than I thought I knew and I am a stronger and more confident person because of the experience. I also got to witness this with other amazing students who have their own strengths and we have a close bond because of that experience.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

SS: In 10 years I will have graduated from graduate school and received my MBA. I will be working for a Fortune 500 company in marketing. I will have started my own organization for minority youth to achieve higher education. I also hope to have begun my own family. 

HC: What is your life motto?

SS: I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

HC: What is one piece of advice you would give incoming freshman and younger underclassmen?

SS: Never be afraid to fail because failure is not really failure. It is just a lesson learned. Be all that you can be! Believe in yourself.

HC: What is your favorite memory so far at UC?

SS: My favorite memory at the University of Cincinnati is any memory where I was able to help another person. I love inspiring others!

Know someone that is doing amazing things at UC? Nominate them for Campus Celebrity by emailing cincinnati@hercampus.com!

Campus Correspondent and founder of Her Campus Cincinnati. Tyasia is a 5th year Spanish & Marketing student (sadly!). Lover of all things plaid! When she's not sipping on margaritas or eating mangos, she's jet setting around the world (All time favorite place: Guatemala!) Tyasia plans to make New York City her home sweet home after graduation to pursue a International or Fashion PR career! Keep up with her on Twitter @tyjenksss