Last Chance! Check out the Met’s High Style Collection in Cincinnati

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

The Cincinnati Art Museum (CAM) is one of only two venues in the nation this year to showcase the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s High Style Exhibit Costume Collection, a fashion display that rarely travels outside of New York. The exhibit opened up on Nov. 7 and will extend to Jan. 24. Admission is free, and the museum is open Tuesday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Photo: architect.com

CAM’s fashion curator Cynthia Amnéus knows Jan Reeder, the consulting curator for the Brooklyn Costume Collection and they first discussed the idea of High Style traveling three years ago. The High Style Exhibit documents the evolution of fashion from 1910 through 1980 showcasing clothing and accessories designed by the most influential European and American designers of the 20th century. The exhibit features a range of garments with 65 mannequins and 35 accessories from a variety of designers including fashion icons Bonnie Cashin, Christian Dior and Charles James.

“Each piece in this exhibition is a stunning example of its kind and exemplifies the depth and breadth of the Brooklyn collection,” Amnéus said.

In addition to the garments, the Met also chose to include video animations to accompany four of Charles James’ pieces that go through the construction of his gowns in detail.

Photo: chicagotonight.wttw.com

Along with the exhibition Charles James’ last assistant Homer Layne held a seminar at CAM on Nov. 8 and at the University of Cincinnati on Nov. 9. High Style is not only a groundbreaking opportunity for CAM but also a great opportunity and learning experience for its viewers. Some of UC’s Fashion Design professors required their students to attend the exhibit. UC Fashion Professor George Sarofeen thought this would be beneficial to his students’ designs.  

“I wanted my students to appreciate the finest couture construction methods in the creation of garments,” said Sarofeen.  

Second year fashion student Rae Watkins attended the exhibition.

“Seeing different styles and what was popular in different time periods was very beneficial, I learned a lot about how the designers constructed their different designs. Everything I read and observed in the exhibit really made me look at my own work,” said Watkins.CAM has borrowed objects from the Met’s collections before, but never a whole exhibit. “This exhibition is a bit of an anomaly as the Met does not generally travel exhibitions,” Amnéus said.

The collection will be on display for another week before making its way back home to New York.

Fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati, majoring in magazine journalism and minoring in fashion studies in the DAAP program. Enthusiast of green tea, bunnies, and anything black & gold. Aspiring to have a future in the fashion journalism world.