Katee Moon: Far From a Square

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Who? Katee Moon

Where does she come from? Dayton, Ohio

Major? 3rd year, Communication Sciences & Disorders with a certificate in Deaf Studies

“Far from a square”, you’re probably wondering what exactly that’s supposed to mean. Well, Katee Moon is beyond being bounded by the four corners of a box. She is a high achiever and is a student that works to go above and beyond as well as helping others persevere on the way. I’d like to say her last name is fitting, a moon is circular, causing a continuous form of direction. I’d say for Katee, this direction is only forward.

Katee has currently made Dean’s list 5/5 times while enrolled at the University of Cincinnati. She is recognized as what we call at the University, a Turner scholar. Along with this, she is Vice President of Operations for Turner Ambassadors. Did I mention she is attending UC on a full academic scholarship? Katee knows what hard work is and how much it takes to not only get on track, but to stay on track. With that being said, it makes sense as to why she works at the Learning Assistance Center as an Academic Coach. This is not the only job she upholds, she keeps busy as a student worker on alternate days in Ethnic Programs and Services. 

You would think that while being a full time student with two jobs that she’d be pretty tied up, but I’m here to offer a mouthful more of volunteering Katee has achieved. Emerging Ethnic Leaders is a leadership retreat at the University of Cincinnati where students have a chance to spend time with peers and student leaders, learning, listening and growing with one another. Bearcat buddies? You guessed it! This includes being a tutor to younger children in the Cincinnati area.

One particular experience is not one which Katee Moon can say she encounters everyday. Her study abroad trip last school year to Granada, Nicaragua. This particular trip consisted of volunteering at a nursing home and center for children and teens with disabilities. She worked with the nurses on new speech techniques for their patients who struggled with communication disorders and played with the children who suffered from living in severely impoverished areas. 

Katee shares some insight to help you get to know her and the deaf society a little better.

HER CAMPUS AT CINCINNATI(HCUC): What do you hope to accomplish with your degree?

KATEE MOON: “Upon completing my masters degree, I would like to begin working as a speech language pathologist in a school setting. I hope to work in a school district that serves students in impoverished areas. One day, I would like to open my own speech clinic which serves those of need, directly more towards younger children whose families may not have such direct access to proper treatment.”

HCUC: How has UC helped towards your future goals or job?

KM: “UC has given me the chance to take courses which help me to well prepare. By this, I refer to the college of Allied Health Sciences through a program called Connections Mentoring. Through Connections, I was given a mentor last year which underwent the same program and is currently a speech language pathologist. In addition, the countless opportunities to network. The organization, MC2 is taking a group of us to the National Black Association for Speech-Language and Hearing Convention in Virginia this spring. The hopes are to expand what we do know and introduce new ideas. Aside from this, as a current Academic Coach, I am trained to service students on the Autism Spectrum, causing early experience gained which is opening up another potential opportunity for the future.”

HCUC: If there’s one thing you could tell people about the deaf society, what would it be?

KM: “The Deaf community is amazing and their language is very unique and intriguing. The development of the deaf community is one that stems from deaf individuals who see a need for change in the past. They are truly no different from anyone else besides their absence of hearing. They are actually one of the most welcoming communities and are very open to helping others learn their language. Being taught sign language has been a bridge created for my new findings about the deaf community. I’ve exposed myself, opening up the opportunity to work with a group of people that some may never get.”