Hair Essentials: Curly Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Do you have uncontrollable curls who have a mind of their own like mine? Well I might have a few tips and tricks for you to get your curls under control! The first rule of having curly hair is to ALWAYS condition and only wash with shampoo once a month or every other week at the very most. Shampoo strips your hair of the natural oils you need in order for it to stay moist and healthy. Mositure is the key to successful curls.

Here are some of the conditioners that I use to keep my curls shiny and defined.

(From left to right):

As I Am Coconut CoWash

Pantene Curl Perfection 

OGX Coconut Curls

Tresemme Flawless Curls

Next, after you condition your hair, you need a leave-in conditioner to slightly hold your curl.

Here are two of my fav leave-in conditioners that leave my curls with a bounce as well as a refeshing smell.

(From left to right):

Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In  Conditioning repair cream (smells like coconuts yum!)

Miss Jessie’s Leave-In Condish (smells like lemons lol)

Now after your curls have slight hold and bounce, add in some of your favorite products to hold your curls all day and to prevent frizz.

This is one of the most important steps in your curly hair routine, what you use and how you apply it makes all the difference in how your curls turn out after they dry. Depending on how thick your hair is, divide your hair into sections and apply a generous amount in each section and distribute the product evenly.

(From left to right):

Eco Styling Gel Curl and Wave

Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk

Miss Jessie’s Jelly Soft Curls

Garnier Fructis Curl Sculpt Conditioning Cream Gel

Now after your product is in your hair you can either diffuse your hair to make it dry faster, or just let it air dry if you’re not in a rush. 

Oh and my last HUGE tip is to deep condition or use a little bit of 100% coconut oil with your other styling products. Either way you use it you will notice a big difference in your curls 100% virgin coconut oil is literally the key to sucess with curls!

This is the finished product when my hair is still wet. I hope you enjoy your poppin curls as much as I enjoy mine!