sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Songs to Play On a Rainy Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve always loved to listen to soft music whenever it rains. So, I’ve made a list of songs for you to play when that perfect dreary day comes (or any time, really!)

From melancholic melodies, to get out of your seat and dance! Here are five songs you should listen to on a rainy day. 

1.)   “Dancing Queen” – ABBA

This song is featured in the 2009 movie, Mamma Mia! starring Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried. It’s very upbeat and never fails to put me in a good mood. So, put on this song written by the Swedish pop group ABBA and dance around!

2.)   “Shake It Out” – Florence + the Machine

Although the song starts out pretty sad, when that chorus hits you’ll want to sing at the top of your lungs and dance along. It’s an empowering medley and Florence Welch is a goddess among us. 

3.)   “Sucker” – the Jonas Brothers

The Jonas Brothers made their comeback earlier this year with this song, and the accompanying music video is amazing. If you haven’t watched it, then you should! Who wouldn’t want to see their childhood crushes all grown up and killing it? 

4.)   “Light On” – Maggie Rogers

If you haven’t heard of Maggie Rogers before now, you’re welcome. Her song “Alaska” went viral after being shown at an NYU masterclass with Pharrell Williams. “Light On” is from Rogers’ most recent album, Heard It in A Past Life, and there was this amazing video (which isn’t the official music video) filmed live in Paris. The atmosphere in the video, as well as the upbeat nature of the song, is sure to make you smile.

5.)   “Roots” – Orla Gartland

“Roots,” will make you feel like you’re in the car with your friends on a summer night, and it is definitely worth a listen. It’s the kind of song you listen to on warm rainy nights and appreciate the people around you! 

Hailey Semchee

Cincinnati '22

Hailey Semchee is a third-year English/Rhetoric and Professional Writing major at the University of Cincinnati. She loves being creative in any way possible as well as traveling, watching movies, or drinking a lot of tea. You can follow her on instagram @haileysemchee.
Emma Segrest

Cincinnati '22

Emma is a current Creative Writing and Journalism major at the University of Cincinnati and works as the Editorial Captain for Her Campus UC. When she is not writing she can be found reading Jane Austen or tending to her plants.