Finals Week Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

That time of year is looming upon us once again. Dare I say it… Finals week. Although we spend most of our time during these 15 weeks anticipating its end, it gets difficult for us to truly accept that the end of another semester is closing in on us.  For those of you collegiettes, like me, who procrastinate until the very last minute to start studying- here are a few helpful tips to get you through your finals week:

1.     Get Organized- Your first plan of attack should be to plan out a study schedule. For each day, make a plan of exactly what you are going to study and for how long. Having a set schedule is sure to keep you on track.

2.     Reward Yourself- After you’ve finished studying for a few hours, reward yourself. Watch an episode of the show you are currently binge watching on Netflix, or maybe grab dinner at Chipotle before you get back to hitting the books again. This will give you a nice little incentive to keep working hard.

3.     Take Breaks- Studies have shown that studying is more effective with occasional breaks. It has been said that for every 50 minutes of studying, one should take about a 15-minute break. Take those 15 minutes to do something you enjoy. Just make sure you don’t get caught up and find yourself behind on your studying!

4.     Go to the Library- Get out of your apartment or your dorm and go somewhere where you know you will be productive. It’s difficult to focus on studying in your room with your cozy bed there tempting you to fall asleep. The library is great because it’s so quite, but during finals week it tends to get way overcrowded. Some of my other favorite places to study include Starbucks, and Panera.

5.     Sleep- In all honesty, If you don’t know something the night before your final, chances are you probably won’t learn it before the exam. So your best bet is to opt for some extra sleep and hope for the best. As long as you give it your best shot, that’s all that matters!

So remember all of these important tips when getting ready for the dreadful week. You don’t want to be that person showing up 25 minutes late because you crammed for an exam all night.

GOOD LUCK! We are all rooting for you.