ENHYPEN’s Orange Blood: A Track-by-Track Analysis 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

On November 17, the seven-member K-pop group ENHYPEN released their fifth EP, Orange Blood.  Serving as a continuation to their May 2023 EP, Dark Blood, this latest release features softer themes, and as member Jungwon said, exudes a “subtle sexiness.”  The EP, a stunning display of the group’s popular vampire concept, comprises five new songs from members Jungwon, Heesung, Jay, Jake, Sunghoon, Sunoo, and Ni-ki. Notably, the title track. “Sweet Venom,” offers two additional versions: an English version and a remix featuring Bella Poarch.

1. Mortal 

The intro track, “Mortal,” features spoken verses that delve into the album’s central theme of mortality. In the chorus, the members repeat the phrase “carpe diem,” referring to the urge of seizing the present moment rather than worrying about the uncertainties of the future.  “Carpe diem” truly encapsulates the theme of the song and the entire album as the members reflect that despite life’s temporariness, they want to enjoy the present, live, and love in the moment. They emphasize that life’s fleeting nature is what makes it beautiful, and every moment is precious. 

1. Sweet venom 

The title track, “Sweet Venom,” is a fun synth-pop song. The members are intoxicated by their lover, the subject of the song, and are dependent on this person’s “sweet venom.”   Notably, the track showcases impressive high notes from members Jay and Heesung, adding a layer of vocal brilliance. The accompanying music video is full of colorful scenes and various Michael Jackson-inspired throwback references. With an incredibly catchy hook, “Sweet Venom,” is sure to make any listener want to dance or simply vibe to the song. 

1. Still Monster 

In “Still Monster,” ENHYPEN questions their identity in the absence of their lover. Without this person, they can only see themselves as a monster, and feel that they cannot be their best selves. The song takes on a touching tone as with this person, the members can finally embrace who they are, and no longer see themselves as a monster. Instead of singing “Still a monster”, in the final chorus, the members, at last accepting themselves, sing a transformative line: “I’m not a monster.” 

1. Blind 

In “Blind”, ENHYPEN sings about immortal love in the face of mortality. In the R&B-infused track’s lyrics, the members ask the song’s subject for their love, even if it can’t last forever. In the song’s bridge, Ni-ki sings, “Even if my whole body burns, I walk towards you/ If I become ashes, please keep them by your side,” and this vampirish imagery beautifully highlights the album’s idea of immortal love. 

1. Orange Flower (You Complete Me)  

Closing the album is “Orange Flower (You Complete Me)”. In this upbeat pop song, ENHYPEN’s once dreary world becomes colorful as the love between them and the subject blooms like an orange flower. They vow to spend their every moment serving this person, living in the present as they “color (their) world.” The album ends on a powerful note with the concept of immortal love evident throughout “Orange Flower’s” lyrics. 

Listen to ENHYPEN’s “Orange Blood” to explore the range of tones and feelings in this cross-genre musical adventure.

Fiona p

Cincinnati '27