Celebrating Our Differences: Arin Gentry on Showing Up as Herself Every Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

In this series, we are celebrating the uniqueness of three local Black women as a way to dismantle the stereotypical myth that Black women are a monolith—that we all fit within one box. As a Black woman myself, I believe it’s important to shine a light on the range within Black girl magic. We have varying passions and aspirations that shape who we are and how we want to show up in the world.  

Arin Gentry is a mom of two, Bearcat alum, Senior Academic Advisor, and Adjunct Instructor for first-year students. She is also the founder of the As Told By Foundation—a non-profit amplifying Black youth voices through Black literature. Arin recently talked to me about her amazing foundation, upcoming volunteer opportunities, and her advice to Black women on how to follow their passion. 

Where did your passion for higher education stem from? 

When I started at the University of Cincinnati, I didn’t apply myself and I got placed on academic suspension. I had to take a year off to self-reflect because I was determined to prove to myself that I belonged in college and could graduate. I was connected with helpful advisors and professors who became a big support when I returned. It sparked my interest to work in higher education because I wanted to be able to do the same for college students—to help them figure it out and show them that they can do it all while being a safe space for them. I am almost three years into doing this and I love helping students have that aha moment where they’re feeling confident. Next year, I get to see my first group of Freshman kids graduate! 

What inspired you to start As Told By Foundation (ATBF) and what are your long-term goals for the foundation? 

In 2020, I was pregnant with my son, George Floyd was killed, and there was a lot of racial tension on top of the pandemic. I was focused on reading Black children’s books to my baby and building him a library. I started thinking about how I could make a difference for other Black kids within my community. And just like I had this lightbulb moment to do a book drive. 

My long-term goal is for people to always have access to Black books. We’re just getting the books into their hands. We’re amplifying young black people’s voices. We’re powering down because we hope to close the literacy gap. I want to take it a step further and partner with organizations to help families understand what they can do with these books.  

What has exceeded your expectations the most with ATBF? 

I would have never thought that that first book drive would turn into a foundation because it was just a one-and-done idea. I would have never thought that I’d give over 2,000 books to kids. It’s really amazing seeing that people are invested and believe in what I’m doing: building relationships with teachers, schools, and different community partners; connecting with people; being able to write books, and being interviewed on the news. I just know that I fill a gap and that ATBF will continue to make a difference. 

Do you have any advice for Black women who are passionate about a cause and aren’t sure how to start? 

I just had an idea, and I didn’t let anything stop me from doing it. I’m a spiritual person so I know that God will continue to make a way. Don’t let fear keep you from doing what you’re passionate about because passion always wins. If it’s a good cause and if it makes sense, you’ll figure the rest out every day. Another thing is to lean on others and accept help. I look to other people to help me if I don’t know something. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and talk to people so you can make connections.  

How do you celebrate yourself as a Black Woman? 

One thing about me is that I’m unapologetic and I’m gonna show up as Arin every time. We need to stop letting people tell us who we are or make us feel small. I also have boundaries and know how to tell people no. If I don’t want to do something because it’s not for me I just won’t do it. 

Are there any upcoming events where you need donations and/or volunteers? 

There is a book drive going on until February 29th. This Spring I am doing a book fair at a local school and will need volunteers to both pass out books and do Storytime. You can fill out a form on my website so I can compile a list of volunteers to send out emails about upcoming opportunities. 

Is there anything else you’d like our readers to know? 

Keep showing up as your authentic self. Keep showing up and building relationships because you can learn something from anybody. 

Donate to the Black Literature Book Drive here

Find more information about ATBF here

Sign up to become a volunteer here

Erika Lewis

Cincinnati '24

Erika Lewis will graduate in Spring 2024 with a Bachelor's in English Literature with a focus in Literary & Cultural Studies. She aspires to work in publishing and change the world through books. Erika is a proud cat mom to Kylo-Rin Winston Lewis.