Caitlin Smith: Don’t Just Go to Class, Go to COLLEGE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is the infamous Caitlin Smith. If you are active on campus in any way whatsoever, it’s basically a guarantee that you have come across this girl. And if you haven’t run into her on campus, she is a frequent guest at one of our favorite campus bars—Woody’s, of course. Caitlin has one of those infectious personalities that lights up any room she walks into. As evidence by her interview, she has a quick and dynamite sense of humor that you cannot help but crack up at whenever you’re around her. In addition to her outstanding hair and makeup skills, she is a smart and driven individual who is an invaluable asset to UC.

Name: Caitlin Smith

Age: 22

Year: First Year Master’s student (ugh, I’m old)

Major: Human Resources

Hometown: Memphis, TN/Mason, OH (it’s complicated)

Organizations you are a part of: Delta Delta Delta, Rho Lambda, Order of Omega, Student Activities Board

Hobbies: cooking, reading, tweeting funny things (follow me @CaitlinsMyth), traveling, going to any Cincinnati sporting event (Reds, Bearcats, Cyclones, whatever), jamming to good tunes

Her Campus: Why did you go to UC?

Caitlin Smith: My gut. I had the opportunity to go to multiple big name universities, but I chose to go 25 minutes from home. At first, I didn’t like UC. It took me until the beginning of my junior year to realize that, when you go to college, you aren’t choosing a school, you’re choosing a home. Getting involved on campus was the best decision, and I encourage every student to do so. There, you will become a Bearcat. We are young! Don’t just go to class, go to COLLEGE.

HC: What made you want to join a sorority?

CS: I wanted to do the most ~*college*~ thing I could think of after my freshmen year, because I had an awful roommate experience…seriously, she played WoW for 16 hours a day. So I went through sorority recruitment. Little did I know, I was making the best decision of my life. My sorority is my family. The things I have been through with these women is unreal, and with women in other chapters. Not to mention, living in the house for three years is absolutely…unexplainable. Who else can say they lived with 18 girls for three years? How cool. And the best part…when your mom looks at you—the woman who raised you—looks at you and says, “Your sorority made you a better woman.”

HC: What’s your favorite restaurant on campus and why?

CS: Deep India! Chicken Tikka Masala, spicy number four with garlic naan. Students need to embrace the ethnic food we have on campus. You can get Chipotle or Jimmy John’s anywhere…we live in such a beautifully diverse city campus and we are lucky to have access to authentic Indian, Vietnamese, Thai, etc. food that other campuses don’t have access to. Try something new! Live a little, people.

HC: What are your career goals?

CS: Be the Beyoncé of the office.

In more detail, I would like to go into Organizational Development Consulting. I love finding out why a business functions they way it does. I want to be able to use my psychology background in a constructive way within businesses. Business analytics and consulting is such a dynamic field and I’m excited to get my hands dirty. In a dream situation, through these consulting experiences, I would become a motivational speaker. But, let’s be real, no one would listen to me or take advice from me right now. I can barely brush my teeth without getting the toothpaste on me. And I don’t have nice, boss lady heels that say “I know what I’m talking about, so listen up.”

HC: If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?

CS: Barcelona, Spain. The architecture, the people, the food, the music, the clothes…it’s magic. It has everything, the ocean, the city, and the mountains. I fell in love my freshman year when I went for spring break. There was something about the city that makes you feel an electricity unlike any other. The men aren’t bad looking, either. VIVA BARCELONA!!!

HC: You are amazing at hair and makeup! What are some of your secret tips?

CS: First and foremost, never trust someone with bad eyebrows. It’s a rule I live by for any gender. Fill. In. Those. Brows. Even a quick swipe with an old mascara wand will make all the difference (they are the nipples of the face). For a quick, easy look—even for the ladies that don’t wear makeup—think ELF: eyes, lips, and face. Wear a nice BB cream or moisturizer, a nice neutral gloss, and the best beauty product of all, mascara. For hair, a baking soda and warm water wash helps strips your hair naturally of all the bad gunk that gets built up through hair products. Also, a can of beer prior to shampooing your hair with make it lustrous and full. Shout out to Nati Light, HEY HEY!

HC: What is your favorite food to eat at Thanksgiving?

CS: Can I say a really good glass of red wine? Or no? 

Olivia Angel

Cincinnati

Communication and PR major at the University of Cincinnati. Split my time between my sorority and modeling in NYC and Chicago
Ashleigh is a sophomore at the University of Cincinnati studying Journalism. She has a passion for writing, making people laugh, and random tokens of kindness. Born and raised in Kentucky, yet the furthest thing from a country girl! City life is the only life for her, and she is proud to call Cincinnati home.