The 3 Best Places at UC to Study in Peace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

It’s a proven fact that a change of scenery can be a good addition to your study habits, and if you’re tired of being holed up in your room or always studying in Langsam Library, I’ve run across a few great spots on UC’s campus that you might want to visit. Personally, I need a calm, quiet environment to study efficiently. Many sources online suggest that a quiet environment can really boost your productivity. Finding a place devoid of people and distracting noises can bring you from reading the same sentence over and over to finishing your work without a problem. So, with that in mind, here’s a list of my favorite peaceful places to study at UC!

1. The Stratford Pavilion

If you live in Stratford Heights, you probably already know about this spot, because the Pavilion is the place where Stratford residents go to pick up mail and deal with other dorm-related business. However, the Pavilion also has a large room right inside that is one of my favorite spots on campus to study. This room has tons of different seating options, including couches, armchairs, and high-top tables, as well as large windows that let in natural light. The best part about this place is that it’s usually totally empty, and even when there are people in there, they respect everyone else’s need for a quiet study space.

2. The Classics Library (The Carl Blegen Library)

Now, I know that a library is a pretty cliché place to study, but it’s cliché for a reason, ok! At a library, everyone is hoping for the same thing – a nice, calm study environment – so you’re not likely to be bothered by random people. The Classics Library, also known as the Carl Blegen Library, is by the Teachers College and the College of Law, and it’s by far the most peaceful library on campus. The reading room there is usually pretty empty and it has a strict no-noise policy (unlike Langsam). My favorite part about this spot is that there are lots of cool artifacts and sculptures to take a closer look at if you feel like taking a study break.

3. The Fishbowl in CCM

In my time wandering around CCM, I found several good study spots, but this one stands out, even if finding it may have been a little tricky at first. First, you enter Mary Emery Hall, go past Corbett Auditorium and through the double doors at the end of the hall. From there, go past the scene shop and one level down the stairs (the ones with the HUGE eyes above them) and you’re there! This spot has a long, curved glass wall with a bench attached to it and a couple of chairs and tables in the center. In all my time studying there, I’ve only ever seen a couple of people, so it’s the perfect spot to study if other people distract you. If you feel the need to stretch your legs every once and a while, there’s a wall covered in recreations of famous paintings and some costumes from past CCM productions nearby that you can check out. And, if you’re really lucky, you might even get to listen to some live classical music being practiced in a room down the hall.

Hopefully these places can help you improve your studying habits either by providing some new surroundings or just a place without any distractions. These certainly aren’t the only quiet spots to study on campus, so you should try exploring UC’s campus yourself every once in a while to find other places that work for you. Happy studying!

Emma Hynes

Cincinnati '22

University of Cincinnati - History and Political Science major Activist with a focus on lgbt people and people in poverty. Trans inclusive feminist. She/Her pronouns
Karina Baffa

Cincinnati '19

.