10 Ways to Better Your Second Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

After finishing your first semester of college, you feel like you can conquer anything, anything even being second semester. Here’s ten things you learn your first semester to better your second semester experience:

1. You don’t have to ask permission to go to the bathroom or to leave. Just leave if you want.

We all had those annoying teachers in high school that swore they were preparing us for the real world, for college, but I feel ill prepared. Trust me when I say no one in the “real world” makes you ask for permission to go to the bathroom. In this glorious new world, I discovered you can dismiss yourself whenever and however you please. How exciting.

2. It’s okay to change your major.

We are eighteen years old, at least most of us are, it’s completely okay if you made the wrong career choice or in all honesty have no idea what you want to do with your life. It’s better to figure it out now than when you already have received your degree and looking into careers. Change your mind as you please. We are young.

3. Effort goes both ways.

I’m sure everyone promised their high school best friend before they went off to school that nothing will change, but I can reassure you it has. Sometimes you outgrow each other or sometimes you both have too much going on to keep up like you all used to. It’s fine. Just remind yourself effort goes both ways. Make sure you’re putting in the effort you want to receive from your friend.

4. You do not NEED Starbucks every day.

When I first started classes, I thought I died and went to “basic girl” heaven. We have TWO Starbucks on campus! But the caffeine and money started to add up quickly. If you’re anything like me the extra caffeine makes you anxious and unable to sit still causing it hard to focus and stay in class. Stay away from the coffee at least twice a week. It’ll give you some balance.

5. College guys are the most confusing guys.

Maybe it’s just my experience, but college guys make absolutely no sense. Sometimes you guys are a thing and sometimes you guys won’t talk for a week. It’s then left to you to figure it out. Don’t waste your energy. Just do you. It’s a lot more fun.

6. Join clubs!

I know people will tell you to wait until you’re “settled” before adding anything else on your plate, but I think the opposite. You might as well learn how to multitask right off the bat. It’ll make you a more well-rounded person and you’ll make plenty of new friends with similar interests.

7. Professors aren’t scary.

So to basically to sum things up, everything your high school teachers told you was a lie. Professors are people too and believe it or not most of them care about you as a student even if you’re in a lecture hall.

8. The freshman 15 can be true, but it doesn’t have to be.

Yeah, if you’re constantly going to out to eat or eating late due to evening classes, clubs or work then that’s a real issue. The beauty of going to college in the city is we basically walk everywhere so you can keep up on your exercise or hit the gym once or twice a week. You might as well utilize the Rec Center since it’s part of tuition anyways.

9. Family is the most important thing.

I’ve always been raised with a strong sense of family and surrounded by love, but once you go to college it’s hard to deny that sometimes you miss your family. Even for people like me, who commute. You live your own life now with classes, clubs and work, which hardly makes time for the people you love most. Just make sure you let your loved ones know how much they mean to you.

10. Finally, time flies when you’re having fun.

If you think about it, you’re already one eighth done with your college career. Make the most of it because before you know it you’re going to be a real adult.

A psych major that just can't let go of her passion for writing.