Wood Street Galleries

With art, nothing compares. But,at the Wood Street Galleries, art takes another form. Located just above the Wood Street subway stop Downtown, Wood Street Galleries is a free, public space promoting new media. Think interactive, dense, and transformative. New media goes beyond the 2D print world we live in. There, art becomes not just a subject, but also a form of active communication between the viewer and the piece.

Here are a series of photos taken at Wood Street Galleries. There is Miguel Chevalier’s self-generative virtual reality piece, Power Pixels. Along the same lines, Ryoji Ikeda’s data.tron explores mathematical principles combined with a sea of immerse data points. And then there’s Gregory Barsamian’s kinetic sculptures and zoetropes in Memento Mori.

The current exhibit is Kurt Hentschlager’s Hive, a 3D audiovisual where visitors confront a mass of amorphous figures that dance across the screen. The longer you look, the harder it is to turn back.

Want to plan a visit to Wood Street Galleries? Visit their website here for their hours and an overview of current and upcoming exhibits.

I am a college sophomore double-majoring in math and biology. Some of my hobbies include doodling, juggling, orienteering, martial arts, reading, and writing short stories. In the future, I see myself experimenting with more activities. And, if you take my derivative, you'd probably find that I'm infinite~! -My art portfolio is located on my website (www.poparu.com), which is updated on a monthly basis. It shows my progress from freshman year (9th grade) to present.