Sustainable Sledding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

It’s that time of year again—sledding season! Here’s everything you ever wanted to know about sustainable sledding.

Sustainable Sledding Dos:  

1. Use a garbage can lid without a handle. You’ve always wanted to try it—here’s your chance!
  2. If you happen to have one handy, trying sledding on a garbage bag!
  3. Pick the old sledding routes. The tracks others have already cleared can be more slippery and therefore easier to slide on!
  4. Use old sleds. Remember the ones you used when the snow pile was taller than you were? Relive your childhood! You’ll reduce your environmental impact by reusing what you already have.
  5. Ask the cafeteria for unneeded food trays. Help your school take the next step in student involvement and sustainability!
  6. Plan your sledding route. Watch out for trees, rocks hidden under snow, and other sledders!
  7. Wear a scarf, preferably a knitted one. It will protect your face from the bitter cold, and it makes for a great sustainable craft idea!
  8. Host a sledding party; reuse paper from the library to make invitations or start an event page on Facebook. It’s a great way to meet new people, and build campus spirit!

Sustainable Sledding Don’ts:

1. Don’t use store-bought sleds. YOU control the economy; make the move toward sustainability! Plus, you’ll waste your already tight money supply on unnecessary items.
  2. Never use a wooden sled. Not only are you killing trees, but you could also get some really nasty splinters!
  3. Cardboard sleds are really bad ideas. Because they don’t last long, you’ll end up with unecessary waste.
  4. Don’t use snow shovels. Talk about ouch!
  5. Don’t overload the sled with people. You won’t get very far down the hill, and you’ll travel slower than a snail!
  6. Don’t pick the tallest hill; go for one that’s longer and flatter. The walk back uphill will tire you out fast!

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.