Sustainability Blog: Top Sustainable Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Check out this list of some of the most sustainable college majors!

1. Bioethics
Bioethics is the study of scientific issues from an ethical perspective. Bioethics majors can specifically help us evaluate how current actions will affect our future. Additionally, a bioethics major would be excellent in the philosophical and intellectual side of the “Going Green!” movement. 

2. Entrepreneurship
Entrepreneurial majors are particularly apt at accounting, economics, management, and raising capital. Entrepreneurship majors have the ability to start their own business—a green business, perhaps! Maybe an all-organic restaurant or a store that sells clothes made from recycled plastics. Moreover, entrepreneurship majors have the flexibility to really influence a sustainable movement. Instituting “green” businesses encourages other entrepreneurs to go green.

3. Environmental Design/Architecture
Environmental architecture and design majors study how to ecologically design homes, buildings, living spaces, landscapes, lawns, etc. They effectively utilize natural light sources, geothermal vents for heating, and water sources for drinking. Furthermore, environmental architecture/design majors can create eco-friendly public spaces for recreation, commercial, or residential purposes, such as parks, garden centers, and green roofs. 

4. Food Science/Horticulture
Food science (or food studies) majors deal with nearly every part of food production. Horticulture is defined as the art, science, and business of growing something. Studying where our food comes from, how to best distribute it, where to grow it, and how to reduce our impact on the environment is absolutely sustainable! Moreover, food studies and horticulture majors can influence big businesses and companies to change their wasteful, unsustainable ways. These two majors are in very high demand as businesses and companies try to become more eco-friendly. 

In conclusion, ladies, these top my list of sustainable majors for 2012. Whether you’re undecided or have just declared, keep these majors in mind while you go about your college life. Who knows? Maybe you could change the way crops are harvested or design the optimal “green” park for your community. The possibilities for going green are endless! 

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.