Sustainability Blog: How to Make Your Residence Hall More Eco-Friendly!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

If your Residence Hall is anything like mine, people leave the water running in the bathroom, throw away recyclables, leave lights on, etc.  What can you do to make your res hall more eco-friendly? Follow these tips!

1. Reuse old advertisements!
While those wall advertisements are pretty to look at and effective at getting students to attend events, most of them expireafter the event is over. Usually, on the back, the advertisement is blank, and therefore, reusable! Use them to take quick notes, make a different advertisement, or make a scrapbook!

2. Hang up a sign!
If you consistently see that one particular sink or toilet is left running, use your reusable advertisement from Tip 1 to make a sign. Just make sure that your handwriting is clear and concise enough to be understood by everyone.  Don’t forget to get your sign approved by the RA!

3. Turn off the hall lights at night!
Nobody needs to use those lights unless they are sleeping in the hallway. Shut off the lights at the same time every night.  Other students may follow by example.  This idea worked in my Res Hall! The residents always switch off the lights at 10 pm!

4. Be inventive!
Do you ever see recyclable materials in the trash? Grab some rubber or latex gloves, dig them out, wash them, and tape them to the wall where they can be clearly seen! In my residence hall, for example, someone taped items to the wall and labeled each one with “Recycle Me!” Everyone now uses the recycle bins properly. If common methods aren’t working, however, think outside the recyclable box! The Earth and your RAs will appreciate your efforts.

5. Shut off the water!
There’s no need to keep the shower running the entire time; rinse first, then turn the water off to soap up, then turn the water back on to rinse off the soap. You’ll cut down on your shower time (so you have more time to study) and save water at the same time!

By following these five simple tips, you’ll make your residence hall a more communal, happy place for both the environment and your fellow residents. Great things come in small packages. You can start helping with small changes: changes that can have permanent positive effects.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.