Start Studying Now: Tips to Help You Prep for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

We’ve all been there: craning over a textbook, coffee in one hand and highlighter in the other, desperately scouring hundreds of pages the night before an exam. This semester, start studying for finals early with these tips from HC Chatham team members.

Compose a study schedule. Study each subject for a little bit each day. Do practice problems at the end of the chapter and use old tests.”

-Amy Chau, Social Media Director

Review past study guides for other quizzes and tests and reread the works or sections that you struggled with. Get together some study groups, if you can!”

– Onastasia Youssef, Blog Section Editor/Entertainment Writer

“Look through the syllabuses for your classes and ask questions in order to figure out what your game plan should be. The first step to being prepared is knowing what’s coming.”

– Kaitlin Tomko, Writer

Plan your deadlines carefully. The trouble with finals is that they always overlap with other papers and events. If you want to utilize your study time closer to finals, get the papers and presentations out of the way while you still have free time!”

– Shannon Ward, Writer

Look over notes.

– Casey Deer, Business Team Member

“I would recommend everyone to NOT wait until the last minute to study. Generally we have a light week before Thanksgiving break to start preparing ourselves. A lot of reading, notes, flashcards and studying should be involved during this week so you have the essential knowledge before your study session. You should always have a pre-game for everything, including finals.

– Paula Cardona, Writer

“I love using flashcards, and making study guides. I like using different colored Sharpies and highlighters for different topics. This year, I became a tutor for a class I had last year. It’s so much easier to help her with my study guides because it has all of the info in one place!”

– Catherine Giles, Sustainability Writer

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.