Seven Films to See This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Note: All opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author.

Between the lab projects, pop quizzes, final papers, and – for some – tutorials, there’s not much space in a semester. So how should you spend your valuable time and money at the movies this term? Here’s a list of the most enticing and, I think, most worthwhile films of the fall movie season.

Prisoners

I’ll be honest. I am looking forward to this film more than any other this year for one reason: Jake Gyllenhaal. There is nothing he does better than drama, particularly psychological thrillers such as Donnie Darko and Zodiac. Combined with the performances of Hugh Jackman and Terrence Howard, this work is sure to be another notable addition to his long list of excellent films. The story follows two fathers whose daughters are abducted one Thanksgiving. Although Detective Loki (Gyllenhaal) sets out to find the criminals, Keller (Jackman) decides to take matters into his own hands.

Release Date: September 20th

2D or 3D? It’s unclear yet whether this film will even be released in 3D, but when it comes to movies like this, your safest –and cheapest – bet is 2D.

12 Years a Slave

This film is one of great promise. Not only does it have a cast of well-beloved actors, (Brad Pitt, Benedict Cumberbatch), but critically-renowned dramatists, including star Chiwetel Ejiofor, who plays Solomon Northup, a freeman captured to work as a slave in Louisiana. The setting, costumes, camera, and music all seem to have hit the mark and this fall favorite has already gained considerable Oscar buzz.

Release Date: October 18th

2D or 3D? 2D

Thor: The Dark World

There’s not a thing I have to say to convince you to see the next installment in the Avengers franchise. I’m sure that at least half of you have been counting down the days until its premiere. I know I have! Lucky for us, the trailer has gone above and beyond our expectations. As the title suggests, it has a much darker tone than the largely comedic Thor as the title hero and his brother Loki face a legendary force that may spell doom for both Earth and Asgard. Getting a taste of the Norse-inspired environment and LOTR-style battle scenes will also be a welcome break from the tech-saturated world of Iron Man 3.  

Release Date: November 8th

2D or 3D? IMAX 3D is the priciest way to see any movie, but there is no better way to experience a Marvel movie. No fan should be deprived of this thrill. Pay the extra three dollars and you will be glad you did.

The Wolf of Wall Street

Perhaps the most promising original film of the entire Fall/Winter season is this new comedy by Martin Scorsese (Taxi Driver, Goodfellas) starring Leo DiCaprio (J. Edgar, Inception). After the success of The Great Gatsby this summer, a film about a millionaire hotshot navigating his way through the ethically murky world of success amidst sparkling parties and rap soundtracks seems like a surefire win. If the resume of both the film’s actors and director can’t get you to check out this movie, then its sharp, stylish and saucy trailer will.

Release Date: November 15th

2D or 3D? 2D. “Duh.”

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

The original Hunger Games film was not simply a good book adaptation. It was a good film, period, and you would be a fool to skip out on the sequel. The story progresses from the end of the last Hunger Games to explore the political and social implications of Katniss and Peeta’s victory. The original cast returns for an installment that will either match or exceed the quality of the first in its dramatic sensibility, visual aesthetic, and intelligent storytelling.

Release Date: November 22nd

2D or 3D? I personally appreciate seeing this series in 2D due to its beautiful shading and dark subject matter. However, its bright colors and fast action scenes also promise a rewarding 3D experience.

Frozen

Nearly every child that saw the original teaser for this Disney animated film was busting at the seams with laughter as they watched an elk and snowman compete for a carrot. The child in you may have even laughed a little. But is it enough to see the film in theaters? Based on this teaser, the answer is no. But based on this Japanese-dub trailer of the film – which has been released before the full-length American one – the answer is yes. With character and landscape designs as breathtaking as Tangled and the voice talents of seasoned Broadway actors Idina Menzel and Jonathan Groff, it’s a potential musical classic you won’t want to miss.

Release Date: November 27th

2D or 3D? Either/or. Animated studios mastered 3D films even better than live action studios have, but the great beauty of animation, even the CG ones, is that their texture and layers preserve the sheer simplistic brilliance and detail of the 2D format.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

This trailer says it all…

Release Date: December 13th

2D or 3D? When I saw The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in RealD 3D last December, it was dizzying and – at times – looked no better than a pop-out book. If you can, see this in IMAX 3D. If that’s not available at your local theater, then skip the special effects and stick to 2D for this feature.

What movies are you looking forward to this semester? Sound off in the comments below! 

Photo Credit: Yahoo! Movies

HerCampus Chatham's Entertainment Writer, Onastasia Youssef graduated from high school in 2010 and entered Chatham University the same year. Although she majors in Art History and English, she has always had a passion for music journalism. She hopes to engage her readers with exciting stories that will broaden their knowledge of musical genres and provide them with the very latest in the entertainment world. Random Fun Facts: Favorite Movie - The Avengers Favorite Album - No Fences Favorite Color - Blue Favorite Food - Yogurt (yes, yogurt)
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.